No reception of private calls after 10 min of inactivity

Help with DMR issues
hb9fgu

No reception of private calls after 10 min of inactivity

Post by hb9fgu »

Dear all,

I am using Pi-Star 4.1.5 on my Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4 with Kernel 5.10.63-v7l+ and a dual hat MMDVM device. By accident I discovered that private calls (visible in the Brandmeister dashboard) are not shown in Pi-Star dashboard any more, nore sent to my radio after 10 minutes of inactivity. This problem does not occur with my openSPOT3. I tried different Brandmeister masters and there too was no different behavior. So I assume it is not a Brandmeister problem, and I am pretty sure that this was different in the past.

I checked all versions of Pi-Star (back to 4.1.2), they all show this behavior. I then used a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1 with Pi-Star 4.1.5 with Kernel 5.10.11-v7+ an a single hat MMDVM device, and even this system shows the same behavior. It looks like that private calls are treated like dynamic talk groups.

In order to receive private calls I have to make any activity, a short transmission on TG 9 is sufficient for that. Calls on static talk groups are received after any time of inactivity.

Has anybody an idea what could be wrong?

Thank you for your help.

73 de Michael, HB9FGU
"A dialogue only will begin if you assume that the other could be right."
Hans-Georg Gadamer, German philosopher, 1900-2002
hb9fgu

Re: No reception of private calls after 10 min of inactivity

Post by hb9fgu »

Dear KE7FNS,

How can you just easily pretend that's a Brandmeister issue? If you read my original post you learn that it does only happen with both my Pi-Star hotspots and not at all with my openSPOT3. And why are static talkgroups then routed to me even after 10 minutes of inactivity? Have you read my orignal post? Or have you just seen that I have a problem only with Pi-Star and you want to get rid of me and my problem? Sorry, but I don't feel understood...

Very interesting is that my brother now faces the same issue after he rebooted his Pi-Star hotspot several times and upgraded it ... For me it's quite evident that's not a Brandmeister but a Pi-Star issue.

73 de Michael, HB9FGU
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Personally i have no experience in placing private calls. I solely connect to TG's so cant comment with exact definition but
I'll support jasons claim that all routing is handled by BM servers. BM development is always moving and If they have changed the way mmdvm connetions handle PCs then ur pistar install most prob. cannot override that. It might be advisable to ask in a BM group to check if anything has changed in how they handle P. Calls.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
hb9fgu

Post by hb9fgu »

private calls get routed to your last known hotspot/repeater
Yes, I know that. And that is exactly what I have tested. I keyed up my pistar hotspot and then waited for at least 10 minutes. A private call to my DMR ID was not routed any more after these 10 minutes, but a call to a static TG was. To be able to receive private calls I have to key up my pistar hotspot every 9 minutes and 59 seconds (or less) - a short transmission to TG 9 is sufficient for that. This behavior of pistar is new - it was different in the past. Unfortunately I cannot say when it changed.

If I switch off my pistar hotspot and switch on my openSPOT3, key it up, then I can be called even after these 10 minutes, there is no need to key it up every less than 10 minutes.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Just spoke with one of the global members who writes code for & oversees all us on the server / admin teams on the backend of BM.

Heres his reply...
"theres no such thing as "static" or "dynamic" for personal calls. those are not subscriptions. just calls. master routes a personal call to the last repeater or terminal\ destination ID is seen"

With that I'd echo whats being said in the replies ur getting that its working as it should. Traffic destined for you gets forwarded to the device of your last known keyup without the ability to set it as 'static'

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
hb9fgu

Post by hb9fgu »

The problem is solved! And I have to admit that it was really a Brandmeister problem and not a Pi-Star one. The fact that the problem occured only with my Pi-Star hotspots and not with my openSPOT3 brought me to the false conclusion that it must be a Pi-Star problem.

The reason for the different behavior of both hotspot is that they use different protocols: Pi-Star uses MMDVM, openSPOT3 uses Homebrew. Because I didn't know that my conclusion was wrong.

Thank you all for your contributions, I learned a lot.

73 de Michael, HB9FGU