IP44 and pi-star hotspot

General support for the Pi-Star System
W3KIT

IP44 and pi-star hotspot

Post by W3KIT »

Folks,

Is anyone here using pi-star on IP44?

I was granted a few 44 IP addresses. Setting up tunnel gateway at home QTH. I have an old laptop running Debian 10. I can do things I normally would with the home IP addresses.

I assigned my pi-star hotspot running the latest update / upgrades. Mmdvm hat married to a Pi3B+

Working fine, no issue at all with home IP address. But with IP44 it took about 10 min before my Nextion screen is poplulated.

When the nextion screen showed up. I notice the clock on display was about 10 min late and the second digit is running up really fast. More like 2 or 3 ticks per second instead of 1 tick per second. Sometime it jumps from say 10:00:30 to 10:00:37 in 1 tick.

It looks like it was trying to catch up with the current time. When it caught up to the real time, the clock is running normal.

Does anybody have experience using a pi-star hotspot on IP44?

73, Kit
AF6VN

Re: IP44 and pi-star hotspot

Post by AF6VN »

Pardon, but the only hits I get for "IP44" is a code for how protected an item is against particles and water.

That leaves me to guess that you mean you've been issued LAN addresses in a 44.x.y.z network, and that you configured those for your machine -- instead of using the LAN private IP # normally issued by your router, and letting your router NAT functions map the LAN side to WAN. One side effect could be that practically everything the R-Pi does with the network has to fight past your router to the WAN, navigate that 44.x.y.z network to somewhere for routing, and then get routed back to your system -- if the routing tables haven't propagated well there may be delays while inbound traffic has to figure out just "where" you are.

MMDVM board shouldn't matter -- networking is all handled by the R-Pi.

The time sync looks like a very bad NTP server (though with Debian having shifted to timesyncd I'm not certain how often it tries to correct for local system clock errors).

Have you tried running a few pings from the R-Pi to servers configured in Pi-Star (and maybe others) just to see what type of lag is being seen?

Take the above as just free-association wanderings of a grey-muzzle mind

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
W3KIT

Re: IP44 and pi-star hotspot

Post by W3KIT »

Yes, 44.x.x.x net :D

At any rate, pi-star firewall be so tight or something. I have DVSWITCH and AMBE server on 44 network and one laptop no issue at all.

I just moved all my hotspots back to home network.

73, Kit