MMDVM pi-star with no audio (FT3D)

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
N5NDC

MMDVM pi-star with no audio (FT3D)

Post by N5NDC »

I was able to configure an MMDVM pi-star hotspot for YSF and connect to various YSF/FCS reflectors. The call sign of whoever is transmitting will appear on both my radio (Yaesu FT3D) and on the Pi-Star dashboard, but the audio I hear is just white noise. I have updated the software and set up the hotspot multiple times now. As far as I can tell, everything is up-to-date, but I still cannot hear anyone. I use Linux all the time and connect to this and another Raspberry Pi on my network without a problem.

Maybe I will play with the YSF2DMR option someday, but at this point I was just hoping to get the YSF/FCS side working.

I mentioned this in my club's groups.io channel and another club member reported the same experience:
I have the same problem too. Mine was working fine on dmr and I could hear , talk, and even text a message to my pager . I upgraded firmware and changed the settings for yaesu and now I can see the call signs and see people talking but I get no audio. I’m thinking it is a simple setting
I just purchased the MMDVM hotspot on Amazon and reported the issue to the vendor and sent them the log files, but I am not very optimistic that I will get a fix from them.

I have tried the "parrot" feature and I get the same result. When my audio is repeated back, it is just white noise.

I thought it might be an issue related to port forwarding, but I am now forwarding ports 42000-42999, 4200, and 3200 to the hotspot's IP address, without any difference in behavior.

Does this problem sound familiar? Any ideas on what else I should try?

Code: Select all

Pi-Star:4.1.6 / Dashboard: 20220313 / FW: HS_Hat:v1.5.2
N5NDC

Re: MMDVM pi-star with no audio (FT3D)

Post by N5NDC »

Update: Wow! It's working!
I tried to switch the FT3D into FM mode, but it wasn't giving me that option when I pressed the MODE button on the front. It cycled between DN, DN(AWS), and AM. Yes, AM -- on UHF!

I had to go into the menu to switch to FM. I listened to the sounds, trying to discern any noticeable modulation. Then, I switched the radio into DN and... boom! I'm hearing people talking. This doesn't make sense, but it's working now!

I changed the RX mode in the menu (TX/RX --> MODE --> RX MODE) back to AM and the old problem immediately returned! So, I switched back to FM, and it works. So, even with the radio set to DN mode, I won't hear the modulation if the radio's RX MODE is set to AM, in the menu.

All this time, the problem was in my radio, not in the hotspot!