Another "New Router/Internet" issue!

Help setting up WiFi
ki7tfn

Another "New Router/Internet" issue!

Post by ki7tfn »

I just got new fiber optic Internet along with a new router, 300 mbps service. I finally managed to get into Pi-Star's AP using 192.168.50.1 and configure the new re-flashed card. All went well until I got to the Wi-Fi configuration block. The network scan function worked ok and found my router. After selecting the correct SSID and entering my Password, the "interface" prompt turned green. However, the IP address listed as 169.254.246.196. This is what appears in the Wi-Fi configuration block IP address. When exiting the AP and going back in to the Internet, my browser doesn't have a clue where this IP address is! All other electronic equipment in the house scanned the new router and got assigned IP addresses as 192.168.5.XX. Why would my pi-star get assigned such an oddball IP address? This IP address is non functional and my Pi-Star will not communicate with the new router at this IP address. What a headache this has been! Does anyone have any experience or ideas on this debacle?

Allen/W7BPA
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Another "New Router/Internet" issue!

Post by M1DNS »

The IP didnt resolve. Your not connected to anything.

169.***.***.*** = no connection.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
ki7tfn

Post by ki7tfn »

Thanks for the reply, I now understand the oddball IP address. Is there a fix for this?

Allen/W7BPA
ki7tfn

Post by ki7tfn »

All done, got that crap figured out all by myself, with the gained knowledge of the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP addresses.
VE7RFB

Post by VE7RFB »

Jumbospot stopped working when I acquired a new modem ( much faster fiberoptic connection)

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but where do you file a new WPA_supplicant file. I created one in Windows 11 (text) for my new modem/jumbospot connection but is it to be placed in the card in the jumbospot? brandmeister? or where?

I am currently unable to connect to Brandmeister dash. Jumbopot is not connecting to internet wifi at this time either.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

You drop the new/revised wpa_supplicant.conf file in the boot directory of the Pi-Star Image SD card while it's mounted on your Windows machine (typically, it's the only directory you can get to via Windows). Remove the card and put it in your Pi and boot and you should be good to go.

Alternately, you can just boot Pi-Star and then locate the Pi-Star-Setup access point from another computer; log in and configure the wifi entry directly in Pi-Star.

The instructions are all contained on the home page: <pistar.uk>