Pi-Star - cellular linking, b/w requirements?

All IP networking related issues
G7OMN

Pi-Star - cellular linking, b/w requirements?

Post by G7OMN »

I've had reasonable success previously, as i know many others have, using Pi-Star on a cellular phones' wifi hotpsot for connection to the internet.
I was recently away in a fairly remote location, which i suspect was served by a single LTE cell.
While i appeared to have usable b/w to stream video (though this will be buffered) i was having poor success with my simplex hotspot. Lots of packet loss upstream and downstream.
Bandwidth was variable, between 20 and 1Mbps downstream (and typically >5Mbps), but generally better upstream, @>4Mbps minimum.
I suspect downstream rates are variable due to cellular contention and I assume pi-star will run quite a small buffer, with the audio streams using UDP.

If I check on my DSL router at home, looking at traffic flow monitors, the same simplex hotspot seems to use 7-8Kbps upstream or downstream on an active talkgroup, with no packet loss, so I wonder what the base requirements are to maintain a connection with without packet loss are on pi-star?

Is jitter and round trip time actually more critical than bandwidth, for the internet connection, to maintain stable connections without packet loss?
Jon
G7OMN