YSF issues with Pi-Star hotspot.

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
G8XCL

YSF issues with Pi-Star hotspot.

Post by G8XCL »

Hello,
Equipment description: FT2D, FT70D, raspberry pi (Chinese ebay board). I have 3 of these boards that work perfectly well with DMR and DSTAR. Both FTs work correctly when plugged into an external aerial and connected to a fusion repeater.

Version 3.4.7, Dashboard 20220401

I am having issues that others have described and I have tried all of the remedies without success.
Issue: I can hear any 'room' I choose, all the callsigns come up in the dashboard but my tx is not shown as the local transmission. I have tried all 3 hotspots and two radios in any combination to rule out tx issues, but as stated they all work in other modes with appropriate radios.

I have looked at:
YSF is the only mode enabled.
Radio frequency is set the same on hotspot and radio (438.850)
The firewall is set to private- all entries.
Callsign has been tried in upper case and lower case.
I have tried both Wires pass through on and off.
Radio is set to simplex.
Deviation is set to wide
mode is set to DN
Single press of AMS gives a menu item of TX Dig- Auto or Dig makes no difference...

I have seen articles relating to BER, I have tried adjusting BER both on guesswork and by following an article about using SSH and MMDVM calibrator. That doesn't seem to work too well in that error rates do not show up?

Press F then AMS, the radio goes hunting then times out. (incidentally, how to force it to stop??)
In short, I have tried every adjustment I could (having backed up the original first!) without success.

Is there some other setting on the radio menu I should look at?

I am using Mac OS to link and make adjustments.

My screenshots are a bit large to attach!!

Thank you
G8XCL

Re: YSF issues with Pi-Star hotspot.

Post by G8XCL »

Additionally- Controller mode is set to Simplex and Controller software to mmdvm, radio type is raspberry hat gpio, node type private.
K5FJR

Re: YSF issues with Pi-Star hotspot.

Post by K5FJR »

I wish I could help you more but I'll give you one bit of help: when you try to connect to WiresX by F plus AMS, and it just flashes 'AMS', press and hold MODE to get back to monitoring. I've found that I sometimes have to repeat the 'F plus AMS' several times before it will connect. What are you using as your Startup Host? Have you tried PARROT to monitor your TX? I have had issues with BER and can only get it down to about 1.0-1.8 but I get good reports.

My setup is exactly like yours: Jumbo hotspot from Amazon, Pi 3 (I don't think you said which Raspberry Pi you are using), FT70D. I did add a Nexion 2.5 display which I really like.