Hotspot to Hotspot on D-Star

Help with D-Star related issues
AF6VN

Re: Hotspot to Hotspot on D-Star

Post by AF6VN »

Probably not in Pi-Star/MMDVMHOST/ircDDBGateway.

D-STAR is capable of call-sign routing, forwarding packets to the last known address on which a specified call sign has appeared. "Modules" really only have meaning at the hotspot/repeater level for internal routing to specific frequency gear (or similar). [At least, I've not encountered any systems in which the various modules are completely independent installations -- at best, some larger repeater owners may have developed their own ability to concentrate multiple separate repeaters into one central network connection, but that still means that D-STAR itself is routing to that single network point, not distributed nodes}

Of course, someone could prove me all wet

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

I believe your issue isnt routing the callsign or module its the fact you have the same callsign over two seperate ip addresses.
Into two ircddbgateways, configured the same which prevents them linking to one another.

It is totally possible to route both internally and externally to the callsigns individual modules. ie A to B, A to C, A to D, B to C, C to D etc

Both myself and our li'll group of friends did this regular. connecting inbound to a rptrs B module which hosts us as a group. With the rptr sysop linking internally to that module via his hotspot (his hotspot is the rptrs C module) and both talk to a single ircddbgateway.

So its tots. possible.

if you create a vpn to the remote site, keeping the callsign within your home network, itll totally work. add the remote module under its internal network address (ie not local host 127.0.0.1) to a single instance of ircddbgateway, handling both modules.

Or you could TRY setting up the remote module in ircddbgateway using the remotes external ip address. ie the address of the external ip at the remote side. (Providing it stays static)
Remember to also setup the addresses as needed in mmdvmhost running at the remote end back into ircddbgateway at the local site.
(Agn. in both cases here you'll not be using local host 127.0.0.1 to talk to /from the remote mmdvmhost install, but the external addresses)

Agn this is doable as we've setup this way for a remote rptr with no onsite interweb access. Only a link into an internal network.

Local site: running ircddbgateway & mmdvmhost.

Remote site: running mmdvmhost

Remote mmdvmhost talks into local sites ircddbgateway as the 2nd module.

Have a look at admin/expert/edit_mmdvmhost.php

And admin/expert/edit_ircddbgateway.php

It might make it more obvious what im saying.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
ve2ims

Post by ve2ims »

M1DNS wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:43 am 75% of reflectors are underused i think anyone running one will be happy to find traffic on a module of their ref. just be mindful in some cases they can be setup for specific use cases. So do a little research before you randomly link.

You can link hotspot to hotspot as ircddbgateway does cater to inbound linking unlike many of the other gateways. You'll need to add the callsign ipaddress of the recipient in the hostfile for the protocol you want to use in /root and forward that protocols port in ur router to push to the hotspots internal ip. You then link to the user as you do a reflector. M1DNS BL if youve set it up correctly it should link.

I have tried to do this whitout success. Can you give me more info how to do it? tanks
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

All the info to do this is in the above thread.
Theres nothing more to it.

Ensure the ip address and call sign of the rptr you want to comnect with are in the /root host file for the protocol the rptr uses.
Update and the connection can then be called in the radio.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.