YSF Startup Host selection; how and why?

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
K5FJR

YSF Startup Host selection; how and why?

Post by K5FJR »

Sounds like a stupid question but remember, "there are no stupid questions......"

So when I initially configured my JumboSpot/Pi-Star setup, I selected a host room that was local. It works great. So what is my question?

I want to use WiresX to connect to other rooms but I'm not sure what the effect is on the local host when I do. I have searched everywhere and looked at videos, read blogs, read 'how to set up Pi-Star' docs, etc. but no one addresses the effect that using WiresX (I'm using an FT70) has on the Setup Host if any. I hear folks talk about changing rooms and causing repeaters to be dropped and I certainly don't want to screw up anyone's repeater!

So how do I go about selecting a 'good' Startup Host and how is my using their 'room' (correct term?) going to effect them?

Russ Locke
K5FJR

PS, I'm in a location that has no local digital repeaters at all, especially System Fusion repeaters so I'm always going through the internet.
K5FJR

Re: YSF Startup Host selection; how and why?

Post by K5FJR »

Seems odd to me that since this is a mandatory field in setting up the YSF mode, someone would at least take a stab at the 'Why;' the How being simple. And 35 people have looked at this but not one response!

Russ
K5FJR
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

If you change reflectors youll drop out in the one you set at startup and be present in whichever reflector you selected via the radio. You can only connect to one reflector at any given time.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
K5FJR

Post by K5FJR »

Thanks Andrew,

So when I change reflectors, and drop out of the 'startup host,' does that have any effect on the startup host? I can change reflectors (rooms?) with the radio/WiresX but am leery of messing up someone's repeater.

Russ
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Im not following what ur asking...
What effect ???

When you leave a reflector, you are no longer joined to that reflector. So you'll have zero effect on the reflector, other than ur no longer in there. No longer able to hear whats going on in there and no longer a part of that conversation. You wont be effecting any rptr given your linked via ur hotspot. And what you set at startup, is solely that. where you link after services start. you can then link via dashboard or radio anywhere with no ill effect.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
W1KMC

Post by W1KMC »

Maybe I can clear up OP's confusion Andrew, but not a definitive answer.

If I read his question as intended, I believe he wants to know (although he does not say it) if he is connecting to his local "room" (as he calls it) THROUGH his hotspot or directly to the local repeater directly.

If he is using his Hotspot to connect to the local 'room', if he wants to go to a different room, what effect does it have on his Startup host -- If I am correct (as I have the FT70 also), if you have the room number (YSF I can do, with the FCS the numbers do not line up, there used to be a list where it offset the FCS room #s by 10 and incremented from there , but the list I mad a while ago is now out of sync with this theory, so no idea on FCS numbers anymore), you can {F] [AMS] to get to WIRES mode (may have to do more than once if your hotspot is doing more than one mode) then trun knob to see the # sign and type in number. What effect does this have on your startup host....None as Andy said you can only connect to one 'room' at a time so you are disconnected from your startup room and connected to the new one. Want your startup room back just go into the config section (pi-star / raspberry [unless you changed yours]) and click Apply changes anywhere, this will reconnect to your startup room as changing rooms does NOT change your startup room.

If you have the software you can add favorite rooms to a list and just use the radio to go from one to the other.

Now if you are using the local Repeater -- as long as your hotspots and local are not on the same frequency (and they shouldn't be), you will have no effect on the local machine as they are not tied together. If you do the [F] [AMS] ON the local repeater (some allow you to, some don't -- my local YSF repeaters are tied to UFB-New England (YSF62148 -- or on hotspots FCS 00339) ) then you can effect the local but as long as you return it to the room it is usually on, you should be fine -- check with the repeater owner to see if changing rooms is allowed first.

I hope this explains the question better and provide some 'clearer mud' to OP, but I am no expert and probably talking out my @$$ (er hat), so please correct me if I am misleading at all, just trying to help.
Last edited by M1DNS on Wed May 04, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Naming. :○)
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329