Is it possible to install Pi-star on existing system?

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
KB1ZNG

Is it possible to install Pi-star on existing system?

Post by KB1ZNG »

Pi-star is a wonderful tool. Thank you for all your hard work.

I would like to install pi-star on an existing Pi 4 server without overwriting the whole system with the image. I have not been able to find any instructions or scripts that would show me how to do this. Is the image the only route to using pi-star? I certainly understand how this simplifies its deployment, but if anyone could tell me how to use it a-la-carte on top of my existing system, I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
KB1ZNG
KB1ZNG

Re: Is it possible to install Pi-star on existing system?

Post by KB1ZNG »

That's too bad. But thank you for a great tool, and thank you for the answer.

Regards,
KB1ZNG
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

I wonder if you could run PiStar in a VM using a Pi4 8GB.
--

Brian G8SEZ
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

G8SEZ wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:37 pm I wonder if you could run PiStar in a VM using a Pi4 8GB.
Yeah if there were a hypervisor for arm - probably. Docker for example does not allow for SystemD...

I do have a plan to take us down this path, exactly because Pi's are getting more powerful - I've me time, I'll get there.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

MW0MWZ wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:37 pm I wonder if you could run PiStar in a VM using a Pi4 8GB.
Yeah if there were a hypervisor for arm - probably. Docker for example does not allow for SystemD...
https://www.starlab.io/blog/how-the-xen ... ion-on-arm

https://systems.cs.columbia.edu/projects/kvm-arm/

Note that Xen is a hardware level -- one would be running both "user land RaspiOS/Debian" and Pi-Star as virtual machines on top of Xen. This is not like VirtualBox (or KVM if the linked page was interpreted correctly) which runs a virtual machine within a normal OS.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KC1LKO

Post by KC1LKO »

KB1ZNG wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:42 am That's too bad. But thank you for a great tool, and thank you for the answer.

Regards,
KB1ZNG
What was the answer? Seems to have vanished.

I want to do this very thing... trying to get a radxa board work with a hatboard like the zumboard and pistar... The radxa board is a pin compatible board with same form factor as a pizero... have compiled some of the mmdvm stuff on it already... but looking for a script or something that indicates how to layout all the pistar stuff on top of linux
G4FDL

Post by G4FDL »

KC1LKO wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:51 pm I want to do this very thing... trying to get a radxa board work with a hatboard like the zumboard and pistar... The radxa board is a pin compatible board with same form factor as a pizero... have compiled some of the mmdvm stuff on it already... but looking for a script or something that indicates how to layout all the pistar stuff on top of linux
https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet has everything you need, I doubt anyone will be willing to do it for you.
KC1LKO

Post by KC1LKO »

G4FDL wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:31 pm
KC1LKO wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:51 pm I want to do this very thing... trying to get a radxa board work with a hatboard like the zumboard and pistar... The radxa board is a pin compatible board with same form factor as a pizero... have compiled some of the mmdvm stuff on it already... but looking for a script or something that indicates how to layout all the pistar stuff on top of linux
https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet has everything you need, I doubt anyone will be willing to do it for you.
Ok. Thanks. Have been there. Perhaps have not looked close enough and it indeed has not just the components, but also the locations in the file system where they are supposed to go. Thanks again.
K8JFG

Post by K8JFG »

Somewhere in this thread I missed the answer to the title question. Is it possible to install Pi-Star on an existing system? aka Can Pi-Star coexist with other software?.

I am not trying to build a new device as others in this thread. But I was trying to load FlightAware and FlightRadar24 as ADSB receiver to the same machine. They use a separate dongle device, so there doesn't seem to be any inherent conflict. BUT the setup requires the use of a web server on port 80 (just during setup) and this conflicts with Pi-Star. The software all loads fine, but it can't get associated correctly to the dump servers with Pi-Star. I went through many hoops with their forums and tech support - no joy. I was hoping to take a clean Raspberry PI OS install, add the ADSB systems (which I have fully operational) and then just install Pi-Star and reload the configuration file.

But I can't find an install package for Pi-Star. If there isn't one, why not? :?

thanks,
Jon
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Pistar doesnt install as a package. its only available as an image. Created With a single, sole intended purpose of building a personal digital hotspot.

Look at a vanillia MMDVM or MMDVMhost install for your purpose.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.