DMR Reflectors - Why?

Help with DMR issues
VE3RD

DMR Reflectors - Why?

Post by VE3RD »

I have been involved with DMR for over 6 years now and have never used reflectors(Just regular Talk Groups) I am now trying to wrap my head around the theory of their use.

The rules I see in use in the DMRGateway are as follows
TGRewrite0=2,9,2,9,1
PCRewrite0=2,94000,2,4000,1001
SrcRewrite0=2,4000,2,9,1001

I interpret these as follows. (Please correct me if I am out to lunch here)
Lets assume we want to use reflector 4010 which has a conversation in progress that we want to join

keying up on Private Call 94010 will trigger reflector TG4010
PCRewrite0=2,94000,2,4000,1001

The return will come back on NET TG4010 and get translated to RF TG9 to the Radio
SrcRewrite0=2,4000,2,9,1001

You now must switch to TG9 on your radio to talk ( Why???? )
TGRewrite0=2,9,2,9,1

Why would you not just stay on TG4010 and talk.
Would someone please explain the reasoning behind this complication

Phil VE3RD
AF6VN

Re: DMR Reflectors - Why?

Post by AF6VN »

Please note that, for example, the US BM servers have not allowed Reflectors for some years -- every former reflector exists as a pure talk-group, so there is no reason to use some general (TG9?) group and command it to link to a reflector.

I believe the European BM servers are also phasing out reflector usage.

The 4xxx series of talk-groups are NOT talk-groups in and of themselves -- they act as LINK COMMANDS telling the server to start sending the related talk-group stream to you using TG9. They were, I believe, created originally to support repeaters that only operated with TG9 (which practice was only common in Europe to my knowledge -- US repeaters tended to allow activating most all talk groups as PTT dynamic, and assumed users had radios with enough "channel" entries to define a channel for each talk group they were interested in using).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Reflector linking hasnt been a thing for a while now with BM.

You can do similar with Tgrewrites within dmrgateway, if you really need to. But the default isnt setup to do so.

There might also be a little of tgrewrites in what your referencing there also...
Dmrgateway allows you to login to multiple networks and use them as needed.

Preasigning a no. In front of ur actual needed Tg will direct you to a different network.

Default. Settings...

No additional no. Connectes tg to BM

Add an 8 connects tg to DMR+
Add a 6 connects you to an XLX
Adding 70 directs you via DMR2YSF.

But its all assignable by you, with tgrewrites and dmrgateway once you get an idea of how.

From what i remember DMR+ still use relector no's in relation to their tgs but not in the way your referencing above.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
VE6PLC

Post by VE6PLC »

DMR reflectors are still widely used with DMR Plus. What I have found is that different DMR+ servers do not support all the same TG's but they tend to support all the reflectors. For example, not all DMR+ servers support TG 320 (Quadnet) or 302 (Canada Wide English). Reflectors 4541 and 4580 respectively are supported. Also, there are more options for reflectors than for TG's. For example, in one of my hotspots I use
Options="TS1_1=302;TS2_1=3026;StartRef=4541;RelinkTime=10;UserLink=1;CQWW=0;" with my connection to IPSC2-CAN-TRBO DMR+ server. That gives me static TG 302 on TS1, static TG 3026 on TS2, and reflector 4541 on TS2. The RelinkTime setting allows me to specify a different reflector from my radio and will then switch back to 4541 after 10 minutes of no PTT on the different reflector. I have found that using TG 320 on that server often does not work well but reflector 4541 is pretty solid.