Can't boot Pi Zero W2 from latest Pi-Star image

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
EI4IQB

Can't boot Pi Zero W2 from latest Pi-Star image

Post by EI4IQB »

Hello everyone,

My former Pi Zero W stopped working so I bought a new W2 instead. As the SD card was also flaky I'd thought to start from scratch and downloaded the Pi-Star_RPi_V4.1.5_30-Oct-2021.zip image and used the Raspberry Pi Imager tool to write it on a 16GB SD card. When I start the Pi Zero W2 I can see it gets power but the little LED near the power USB connector doesn't flash. Not even after 1 hour. It does get power because the MMVDM card is powering up with the correct LEDs.
If I use the Imager tool to write the latest Raspberry Pi OS to it, the machine boots fine. I have used this mechanism before on the Zero W and a Pi 3B so I find it very strange. As nothing occurs it is very hard to diagnose the problem. Note I'm very comfortable with computers so any advice is appreciated!

Annard
EI4IQB
K6BKD

Re: Can't boot Pi Zero W2 from latest Pi-Star image

Post by K6BKD »

I know this is a little late to reply, but thought I would throw it out there. It's probably the underlying Raspberry Pi OS that Pi-Star 4.1.5 is based on doesn't have the kernel updates for the newer RPI Zero 2 W. If you have another older pi around you can boot that one on the SD card then do the OS and Pi-Star updates then once those are done move it back to the Pi Zero 2 W and see if it boots now.
EI4IQB

Post by EI4IQB »

Thank you for your reply. I have been sidetracked with work and such so I will give that a try.

73 de Annard
EI4IQB

Post by EI4IQB »

As a follow-up I have tried this suggestion. I downloaded the last image for my Pi 3B. However this doesn't boot on my Pi 3B! I will n ow try to use 'dd' to copy the working SD-card with pi-star to the SD-card for the Zero W2. Because the latter does boot from it.
Maybe a suggestion to make a newer image available for download?

Thanks again and 73!
Annard