Pistar, alternatives to Rasperry Pi boards?

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
N1KK

Pistar, alternatives to Rasperry Pi boards?

Post by N1KK »

I have been searching for a raspberry pi board (Zero 2 WH) for a long time without luck
unless I pay 10 times more than what they use to sell for.

Would there be any other small board computers that will run on Pistar for an alternative?

Thanks,
Ken
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Pistar, alternatives to Rasperry Pi boards?

Post by M1DNS »

There are pistar images available to download for
Nanopi, Nanopi Air.
Orange Pi.
And Odroid XU4 SBC's

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KB6MAT

Post by KB6MAT »

Whether the software would work for this is another story ? Form factor is the same. Cheapest I have found is on Alie express. about 21 dollars plus cheap shipping to US..73
MangoPi MQ Pro

https://jamesachambers.com/mangopi-mq-p ... u-preview/
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

KB6MAT wrote:Whether the software would work for this is another story ? Form factor is the same. Cheapest I have found is on Alie express. about 21 dollars plus cheap shipping to US..73
MangoPi MQ Pro

https://jamesachambers.com/mangopi-mq-p ... u-preview/
Not if its based, as it first seems on risc architecture.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

M1DNS wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:28 pm Not if its based, as it first seems on risc architecture.
Clarification: RISC-V architecture. The ARM itself is a RISC archtecture (Acorn RISC Machine, back when Acorn wanted their own processor for desktop computers; Acorn is gone, but the processor design house lives on)

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

AF6VN wrote:
M1DNS wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:28 pm Not if its based, as it first seems on risc architecture.
Clarification: RISC-V architecture. The ARM itself is a RISC archtecture (Acorn RISC Machine, back when Acorn wanted their own processor for desktop computers; Acorn is gone, but the processor design house lives on)
ImageImage

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
yt1rxa

Post by yt1rxa »

Is there a possibility to adapt the pi-star to the MangoPi MQ-Pro D1 board and thus, as on the Nanopi, Nanopi Air. Orange Pi.
And Odroid XU4 SBC's extend the possibility of use on MangoPi as well.
Bearing in mind the price of the MangoPi computer itself, it would be a good economic move in order to adjust the price of expenses at the micro-personal level of a radio amateur user in these economic upheavals at the world level !!!!

AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

yt1rxa wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:45 am Is there a possibility to adapt the pi-star to the MangoPi MQ-Pro D1 board and thus, as on the Nanopi, Nanopi Air. Orange Pi.
And Odroid XU4 SBC's extend the possibility of use on MangoPi as well.
Please note that all four of those alternate boards are running a version of RaspiOS that is three major releases behind the current Raspberry-Pi OS (R-Pi Pi-Star is one release behind). There is NO OS support (Debian patches) for those boards.

The four boards are running Debian Jessie, Pi-Star skipped Debian Stretch and moved to Debian Buster as that release supported the R-Pi 4 (the current RaspiOS is based on Debian Bullseye, and I suspect most development is now focused on getting Pi-Star to run on that released OS).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
yt1rxa

Post by yt1rxa »

I know everything you wrote and I have personally verified that it is! My question seems you didn't understand so I'll repeat it: Can the Pi-Star as a base MMDVM hotspot be adapted to work on the MangoPi MQ-Pro D1 as well. A version should also be made for the MangoPi MQ-Pro D1 board in order to use that computer because its price is more acceptable than the RPi 2 Z W. There is no doubt that the RPi 2 Z W is good but it is also significantly more expensive than the MangoPi MQ-Pro D1. I saw that it has Debian OS for MangoPi MQ-Pro D1, but it is not Pi-Star OS. If I knew how to program, I would have already done it, and considering that my knowledge ends at the level of installing and setting up already saved software, I can't - I don't know how to adapt it to this new MangoPi MQ-Pro D1 board !!!

Ham radio operator
YT1RXA Belgrade Serbia
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

You can prettymuch compile mmdvmhost for any flavour of linux. (Even compiles on windows, but wwy?)

Pistar however, the images there on the downloads page are what we currently support.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.