Pi-Star Build for x86?

General support for the Pi-Star System
KZ4FOX

Pi-Star Build for x86?

Post by KZ4FOX »

Hello Pi People :)

I was just curious if any thought has been given to compiling a pi-star distro for x86 based systems? With the on going and EXTREMELY crazy price of raspberry pi's; it just does not make any sense to spend $200+ US dollars (if any in stock at all) JUST for a pi. Given that you can buy off lease small desktops with i5 & i7 procs & 8GB+ RAM for less than $100. Also, plenty of fanless PCs that are in the $100 range. I have an STM32 based repeater board that is USB and not GPIO, too.

I would think since its based on raspbian porting to Deb on x86 would be possible (not a full time dev guy to be honest). I know most of whats "under the hood" is out there on github and can be compiled and put together on its own but surely doesn't give you the "whole suite" so to speak.

Just wondering :)

KZ4FOX
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Pi-Star Build for x86?

Post by M1DNS »

Not anytime soon.
We currently have no intent to add support for any pc /SBC hardware other that what we offer ATT.

We recently put out a request for others to join the group to help share development time and carry the project forward. Anyone interested should hit up Andys email acc.

Given pistar was created for personal hotspot users, im not sure how you would interface the gpio of the modem board to a PC unless you employ a gpio to usb type affair.

Also remember...
KLXs mmdvmhost can be run under linux. so running a vanilla vers of that could be a solution for you.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KZ4FOX

Post by KZ4FOX »

The board I have is from repeater builders and he makes two models one GPIO and one USB :)

I will take a look at what you suggested; thanks for the info.

I’m not really a great coder but I am a cloud systems engineer with heavy focus on hardware architecture & storage solutions. I have done a fair share of QA work too; not sure that would be at all helpful to the dev team.

- Mark
ab0tj

Post by ab0tj »

I would be willing to volunteer my time to port PiStar to the x86 platform. Being able to run it in a VM would be a nice thing.