radaxa zero and pi-star possible ?

General support for the Pi-Star System
LA5LIA

radaxa zero and pi-star possible ?

Post by LA5LIA »

Hi to the group !
Does anyone know if PI-STAR support the radaxa zero ?
https://wiki.radxa.com/Zero
I cannot get it to boot from sd with the Pi-Star_RPi_V4.1.5_30-Oct-2021 image.

73 de LA5LIA
Steinar
AF6VN

Re: radaxa zero and pi-star possible ?

Post by AF6VN »

One: comparing the 40-pin header pinouts against that of an R-Pi shows a lot of numbering differences, so anything accessing by GPIOxx has to take into account the change (pin 40: GPIO21 vs GPIOAO_11 -- I'm guessing the "GPIOAO" indicates true analog output capability, and confusingly pin 13: GPIO27 vs GPIOX_11 -- TWO "11"s?). Some secondary functions do align: debug serial port (pins 8/10), SPI (pins 19/21/23).

Two: Raspberry-Pi's don't boot using the main processor... They actually load boot code into the graphics processor and IT is responsible for setting up memory and such for the main processor before transferring control. (the R-Pi 4B may be an exception, but even it is custom boot code, not a pure Linux). There is no direct uBoot loader.

Your better attempts would be to try getting a pure R-Pi image to boot first, and figure out what needed to be changed -- then port those changes to the Pi-Star image. Though I wouldn't expect that to work either, given this from the board "wiki"
Raw image is the standard method to install Linux distro on single board computers, since they don't have standardized way to boot and initialize their hardware.
And, per their Debian reference
By default, the Radxa Zero Linux image enables adbd services, which is a debug bridge from Android now ported on Linux. With one USB A to C cable you can power and access the board, very handy.

To use adb, you need to install adb tool on the PC/Laptop. Check instructions for Windows and Linux.
... they are using a version of the Android Debug Bridge to access the device from a desktop computer.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Its not a SBC we support.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
VE3RD

Post by VE3RD »

Possible? Yes!! However...

We over at....

Admin Edit: .

We only support what we produce within these pages.

we have recently asked for others to join the pistar development team. If your interested in doing so reach out to Andy via his email. It could be poss. to integrate your work with ours to ensure what you produce gets user and backend support within these pages/ project.
VE3RD

Post by VE3RD »

"We only support what we produce within these pages."

I was not asking for your support. I was responding to a query and providing information about the pi-star software (your product) running on a RadXA Zero

We made some minor tweaks on your pi-star product, keeping ALL the credits in place, and now you say this is an unsupported product,

What about things like Nextion Screens, they are not your product but are freely talked about here. Also there are third party crossovers, again not your product but information is readily available here.

The raspberry pi- boards are not your product, so It can't be the RadXA board that has you so upset, that you would censor a post.

Please explain, your rational regarding the censorship on this topic
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Im not prepared to argue with you Given this is a pistar support group created to help users of the pistar image.

If you take the pistar image change it, adapt it, modify it, Zero or very limited user support can be offered for it here as its no longer pistar. It becomes something else that is not pistar.

We don't have time in our days to break down what might have been done (What you term your tweeks) Insufficient time to familiarise ourselves with what you create. we cant offer help in answering the unknown,

If people start using ur 'tweeked' vers, who will answer their problems or issues they might have using it? and where might they post those questions in the first place? Most will prob. look to doso here. Which is why at this time i reply no support can be offered here.

The logic and rational is fairly simple really. If its an image created and released by the pistar team, we offer support for it here and welcome users questions regards its setup and use here in the pages of this forum.

All withstanding, the other things i mention in the post above still stand. shoot Andy an email if interested.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)
Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.