Use Local LAN addresses for XLX connections

All IP networking related issues
IW3ROW

Use Local LAN addresses for XLX connections

Post by IW3ROW »

Dear all,

I'm trying to configure pi-star to connect XLX reflector on both DMR gateway and D-STAR using local LAN address of our network (where the XLX really is, on the same net of the repeater) instead of the public IP declared in the hosts files downloaded from the Internet sources.

I've tried changing hosts files, changing them in the /root dir and for DMR gateway used a separated file specified in its configuration. All of this failed and the system is always trying to reach the XLX on the public name/IP. :|

Is there any reliable way to do this and have full control of what IP is used for a specific XLX connection?
Pi-star is updated to the latest versions as of today.

Many thanks for your help! Mauro IW3ROW
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Use Local LAN addresses for XLX connections

Post by M1DNS »

There are custom host files in /root
Make your entries in them for the protocol ur connecting with and they should overide the host files that get automagically updated in the overnights. Its why those files are there, for that very purpose.

Only make one entry for mode Vs protocol.
For the dstar (xlx) add one entry in the protocol hosts.txt file your using to connect.
eg. If your using DCS protocol to connect with the xlx, only add the change in the dcs_host.txt file. Dont add it in ref_ hosts or xref_hosts make only one addition.

Dmrgateway might be a tad harder.
Add your entry in dmr_hosts.txt and test if its available in the default server setup.
ie not selecting dmrgateway as ur server entry but selecting the actual server entry you just made in hosts.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
IW3ROW

Post by IW3ROW »

Thanks all for your suggestions!

After many tries I've found that the best solution to follow for DMR Gateway is to use its setting for a custom txt hosts file that I've created. Editing the DMR hosts file was not working as expected for DMR Gateway.

dmrgateway.jpg
dmrgateway.jpg (46.54 KiB) Viewed 5321 times

For Dstar XLX, the solution from M1DNS works perfectly editig the dcs_host.txt in /root.

Thanks, Mauro IW3ROW
RC3C

Post by RC3C »

IW3ROW wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:33 pm Thanks all for your suggestions!

After many tries I've found that the best solution to follow for DMR Gateway is to use its setting for a custom txt hosts file that I've created. Editing the DMR hosts file was not working as expected for DMR Gateway.

dmrgateway.jpg

For Dstar XLX, the solution from M1DNS works perfectly editig the dcs_host.txt in /root.

Thanks, Mauro IW3ROW
WOW.. great solution to share it. Appreciated, Mauro.
I just faced that my PISTAR isn't connected to my local XLX.
When I changed the file name , PIStar connected to XLX automatically.
73! Anton aka Tony
EL #2102, EL #53698, DMR #2503041, XLX937-B
Clubs: RC5C, RY3AAL, NMDXC