Libre help needed

General support for the Pi-Star System
WN3R

Libre help needed

Post by WN3R »

I have no idea how to get my new AML-S905X-CC working on PiStar Using generic hat.

Can load RPi OS, but not Ubuntu.
AF6VN

Re: Libre help needed

Post by AF6VN »

Presuming the board is fully hardware compatible with the R-Pi, the ONLY PiStar releases will be a version of RaspiOS (customized Debian) with the PiStar modules added.

Ubuntu would be a stand-alone OS and does not support PiStar. So questions about Ubuntu will need to be taken to either the board maker or Ubuntu staff.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
WN3R

Post by WN3R »

The mention of Ubuntu was to indicate the board is working and mostly RPi compatible.

I know current releases of Pi Star do not work. Perhaps another enterprising young ham has found a way to load it. Perhaps, some boot loader or helper program is needed.

With RPi in short supply and very expensive, it might be useful to add Libre as an alternative.

Thank you for your information, none the less.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

WN3R wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:20 pm The mention of Ubuntu was to indicate the board is working and mostly RPi compatible.
Your original post seemed to state the opposite.
Can load RPi OS, but not Ubuntu.
If you meant you can load Ubuntu, but NOT RaspiOS, that is a different matter.

Note that, on R-Pi, booting is NOT done by the ARM processor. Instead the GRAPHICS processor loads the initial boot images into memory, configures the ARM and its memory map, etc. and only then transfers operational control to the ARM processor. The whole boot sequence relies upon special image files located in the FAT partition.

As for supporting a non-R-Pi... Consider that the NanoPi, ODroid, and OrangePi images have not been updated from (Jessie, I believe), regular R-Pi skipped a whole Debian release (Stretch, I think, going from Jessie to Buster as the R-Pi 4 required Buster). I suspect current development work is on getting Debian Bullseye (current RaspiOS variant) to function with Pi-Star ON R-PI.

For all practical purposes -- to get a different board supported pretty much will require the requester to ether do the porting themselves or find someone willing to develop the needed changes, be willing to act as support person for that release, and submit a working release to the Pi-Star team.

The Pi-Star primary has already posted notices asking for volunteer developers for the R-Pi software...

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber