Need RIC if no pager?

Here is where you can get help with using and setting up POCSAG and related topics
WU0V

Need RIC if no pager?

Post by WU0V » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 pm

I have POCSAG enabled on my hs_hat, my TX authorization number is entered in Pi-Star, the live logs show a pair of POCSAG transmissions microseconds apart every minute (which I assume are retransmissions of POCSAG data from the web). I’ve tried sending messages from my MD390G to other known users using their DMR IDs because I don’t know their RICs. All failed.
SO:
Do I need to address messages using the RIC of the recipient, or can I use their DMR ID? For that matter, since I don’t have a pager do I need/can I get an RIC for myself? And the big question: how does the hotspot know to send my message via DAPnet rather than the default message method? I assume it’s by the way the message is addressed.

n9mxq

Re: Need RIC if no pager?

Post by n9mxq » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:36 pm

I think you're confusing this with SMS messaging. Two totally different beasts.

I've found SMS messaging via DMR to be problematic, since the person you're sending to has to have been recently active, and (I'm not sure on this) using the same model radio as you are.

POCSAG is paging. Just like the old text pagers we all carried back in the 80s and 90s..
Gene in Belvidere IL
Please don't email me with questions.
That's what these forums are for.
There's much more brainpower collected here
than I have alone.

WU0V

Post by WU0V » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:00 pm

Hmmm. I was hoping the new Pi-Star feature meant that we don’t need a pager; that we could use our DMR equipment in place of one.
Last edited by WU0V on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M0GLJ

Post by M0GLJ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:52 am

Pi-Star has aways been the software interface between the mode and the user's hareware. WHY WOULD IT CHANGE ???

To use any mode you need hardware of some sort. POCSAG is NO different. If it were similar to something else then the UPSTREAM software writers might have not have included it in MMDVM.

WU0V

Post by WU0V » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Thank you. I am suitably chastened.