Current Latest Stable Version

General support for the Pi-Star System
W4LAC

Current Latest Stable Version

Post by W4LAC »

I'm running Pi-Star on my DV-Mega, which is based on the Pi 3. I've had it for about three years. I just noticed something odd after I did the last update. The top of the dashboard page shows it's now running 4.1.6 and Dashboard 20221114. However, when I look at the Pi-Star Downloads page, the latest image I see is 4.1.5. Can someone explain this? The reason I'm hyper-sensitive about this is because ever since I performed the update a couple of weeks ago, my DV-Mega has not been stable. It seems to lock-up and not receive traffic after running a day or two. It also gets to a point where it won't allow me to switch talk groups by transmitting on a new TG, even when there's no traffic being received when I key-up on the new group. I'm thinking about reloading a fresh image. Which one should I load? Comments welcome.
AF6VN

Re: Current Latest Stable Version

Post by AF6VN »

Regardless of what you write to the flash memory (unless you have a 3.x image lying around -- that is quite stale), as soon as you run update/upgrade (which is highly recommended) you will be back at 4.1.6.

You probably need to SSH into the unit and examine the log files after any occurrence of "unstable" behavior. My DV-Mega (on a R-Pi 3B) has been running since summer of 2018 with no signs of problems.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Current Latest Stable Version

Post by M1DNS »

Its not unusual for the downloads page to lag the current release. Its not always we push the current vers. up to the website, depends on what this vers. gives you over the last one.

This last update .5 - .6 was more about changes having to be made to accommodate what pistar connects too. ( Updates aren't always about new features & changes to pistar itself) Many of the networks and internal services are changing regularly, so we need make changes also so ur install continues to work and sometimes those changes get a update no. assigned them so we can pinpoint those changes.

Re dv mega boards...
The one thing i will add, whilst they are very well made DV mega boards are not mmdvm boards, they dont run mmdvm firmware. mmdvmhost was written to accomodate them. Changes are always happening in mmdvmhost, im not saying itll change overnight but how long it will continue to support the dvmega boards... ??? or how long before this compatibility starts to hamper changes in mmdvmhost... ???

Im not looking to trigger any panic in writing this here but it might be a good time to consider a change to using an actual mmdvm board. And leave the dv mega at a lower release level as a 2nd /backup /mobile unit. Im sure theyll go on for a long while yet but mmdvm is where we're at now.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.