IDLE logo on OLED

All things relating to OLED Screen(s)
w2rjr

IDLE logo on OLED

Post by w2rjr »

I'm running PiStar 4.1.6 on a digital repeater with an 1.2'' OLED. In the last two weeks I noticed that when there is no activity the display now shows IDLE. I do have the screen saver turned off. Does anyone know how to turn it off ? Thank You
w2rjr

Re: IDLE logo on OLED

Post by w2rjr »

Thanks for the info. Just to be sure I explained it correctly, When the repeater is idle the OLED would be blank not off. When there is traffic the display would come on indicating the mode, callsign etc...which is the way I had it setup! now instead of a blank screen when the repeater is idle, it displays the word ILDE.. can that be turned off? Don't need a screen saver. thanks.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Idle isnt the screen saver.

Idle is it giving you the mmdvmhost status.
Just like it gives you info when theres traffic.

Theres no option to drop idle, not unless you rewrite that part of mmdvmhost code.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
WB6WQF

Post by WB6WQF »

Resurrecting an old thread but this seems to be the best place to ask.

I’m using an mmdvm dual hat with the small oled display. The hat firmware and pistar build are up-to-date.

I see “idle” constantly, even when the screensaver is scrolling and when data is displayed. They just overlay the word “idle”. Not the end of the world but annoying. Is this behavior normal?
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

WB6WQF wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:45 pm Resurrecting an old thread but this seems to be the best place to ask.

I’m using an mmdvm dual hat with the small oled display. The hat firmware and pistar build are up-to-date.

I see “idle” constantly, even when the screensaver is scrolling and when data is displayed. They just overlay the word “idle”. Not the end of the world but annoying. Is this behavior normal?
Well no, I would say it isn't normal, mine scrolls MMDVM and the only time you see anything else is when a call is in progress or for a short time after one finishes and the MMDVM scrolling has not yet restarted.

You could have a look at the settings and see if anything is obviously different from how you set it up, a reboot should fix it if it's down to some memory corruption when running, the OLED displays are subject to this when any debugging is enabled.
--

Brian G8SEZ
WB6WQF

Post by WB6WQF »

Thanks Brian. Just to rule out any “wrong” setting, I made a new image and configured everything from the ground up. That didn’t change anything. I’m now thinking that “IDLE” got burned into the display. It’s visible in the background with the normal display colors but moves to the foreground when I invert the display. So I’m over it. I desoldered the display and threw it in the trash. Now I’m researching a suitable replacement.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

WB6WQF wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:01 pm Thanks Brian. Just to rule out any “wrong” setting, I made a new image and configured everything from the ground up. That didn’t change anything. I’m now thinking that “IDLE” got burned into the display. It’s visible in the background with the normal display colors but moves to the foreground when I invert the display. So I’m over it. I desoldered the display and threw it in the trash. Now I’m researching a suitable replacement.
They're fairly cheap, you could just purchase a new one. Just make sure you check the pin order so the supply and ground are correct.
--

Brian G8SEZ
WB6WQF

Post by WB6WQF »

Yes, thank you, I discovered the different pin order among displays during my research. I also discovered that an I2C display is needed rather than SPI.