Stupid question time - HS, RF, Net meanings in context

Help with DMR issues
kc7ve

Stupid question time - HS, RF, Net meanings in context

Post by kc7ve »

I've had two DMR setups for a few years. Maybe I knew this once but if I did, I forgot and can't seem to find the answer.

1) In the acronym MMDVM_ HS, what does the HS stand for. Does it just mean HotSpot?

2) on the gateway activity for my hotspots, I see (under SRC) Net and RF. Fir everyone else, it says Net. For my calls, it says RF. Why is mine RF, while everyone else's says Net?

It makes me think I'm doing something wrong?

UPDATE: To add another stupid question.

3) when I created my MMDVM screen for my Nextion display, there was already d-star, and other radio mode screens. I never used them so I did t change them.

Then I noticed that in the pi-star configuration page, the pi-star could also be setup for those same modes.

But my question is, what is the process of turning a pi-star from DMR to d-star for instance? Is it just a matter of the pi-star recognizing the data received and automatically switches? Or is there more to it?

I haven't seen this aspect discussed before. Maybe because I wasn't looking fir it.

Basically once a pi-srar is setup, for each of the modes of operation, how does one switch the pi-star between the various modes?
Last edited by kc7ve on Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amateur Radio 40+ years
USMC 1963-1967
VK3KYY

Re: Stupid question time - HS, RF, Net meanings in context

Post by VK3KYY »

1. Yes. HS = Hotspot
2. RF is the RF signal the hotspot is receiving from your transceiver. The RF display only shows what the HS is receiving not what its transmitting
kc7ve

Post by kc7ve »

VK3KYY wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:38 am 1. Yes. HS = Hotspot
2. RF is the RF signal the hotspot is receiving from your transceiver. The RF display only shows what the HS is receiving not what its transmitting
Ah, I see. So anyone looking at the same gateway activity on their hotspot would see me as Net while theirs would show only their (or anyone else accessing their hotspot by RF) transmission as RF.
Amateur Radio 40+ years
USMC 1963-1967
NQ4T

Post by NQ4T »

kc7ve wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:16 pm But my question is, what is the process of turning a pi-star from DMR to d-star for instance? Is it just a matter of the pi-star recognizing the data received and automatically switches? Or is there more to it?

I haven't seen this aspect discussed before. Maybe because I wasn't looking fir it.

Basically once a pi-srar is setup, for each of the modes of operation, how does one switch the pi-star between the various modes?
If you have multiple modes selected, then the hotspot will cycle through them on the RX side. On the TX side it will output whatever it's receiving first when idle. If you're on things with low activity, this isn't a huge issue; the most you have to do is key up for a second or two before the hotspot picks you up. But you can run in to situations where you might miss transmissions due to the other mode coming in first.

On Fusion radios it makes the WIRES-X emulation very difficult to get in to. The transmissions from the X button are very short and often missed.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

NQ4T wrote:
On Fusion radios it makes the WIRES-X emulation very difficult to get in to. The transmissions from the X button are very short and often missed.
Yep. This ImageImage why we suggest to users they first keyup when using YSF to lock the mode so it doesnt miss the X data burst.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.