Will a Kenwood NX-P500 work with a hotspot for NXDM?

Help with NXDN issues
KB1ILJ

Will a Kenwood NX-P500 work with a hotspot for NXDM?

Post by KB1ILJ »

Will the NX=P500 work with a hotspot to get to the NXDM talk groups?
If not do you have a suggestion for a used radio that will work?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am trying to figure out NXDM.
KB1ILJ

Re: Will a Kenwood NX-P500 work with a hotspot for NXDM?

Post by KB1ILJ »

Hmmm, maybe the Kenwood NX-P500 is not a good choice. :)
Any suggestions related to a NXDN radio that will work would be great.
I got my NXDN radio ID the other day, I have a hotspot with Pi-Star configured for NXDN. Only missing link is the radio.

Thanks!
KB1ILJ

Post by KB1ILJ »

Update,
I was able to find the programming software for the NX-P500, and from there I soon found out that although the radio Freq range starts at 450.000 I can not enter that in to one of the channels. I must pick one of the frequencies on the list and they are 451.XXXX and up. Anything higher than 450.000 and Pi-Star will not allow you to enter it into the general config page.

So, I am back to square one. What radio can I use solely for NXDN on the pi-star that will work in NXDN and let me use a lower frequency to connect to the Pi-Star. Back to the Google searches for now.
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

I know this is an old thread, but I will add something helpful. The Kenwood NX mobiles that are type 2 UHF cover the 70 CM amateur band, Those are a little hard to find and when you do they can be expensive. Some of the type 1's can be programmed below the 450Mhz band limit that are in them but receiver and transmitter performance could be diminished. I am using a VHF NX700 that works well in the 2 meter band as it is set up for 136-174 band split. PiStar hotspots don't work outside of the amateur bands and doing so would need a commercial license for those frequency's