Upgrade Pi Zero to Pi Zero 2

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
M7NWL

Upgrade Pi Zero to Pi Zero 2

Post by M7NWL »

Hello,
I have the latest version of Pi-Star running on a Pi Zero and have no issues.
I was recently given a Pi Zero 2, is it worth the effort of upgrading? Or should i just keep the Pi Zero 2 for another project?
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Upgrade Pi Zero to Pi Zero 2

Post by M1DNS »

You'll get faster boot up and faster response times when interacting with the dashboard. Other than that will make no noticable difference to the actual radio / in use operation.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
K4ED

Post by K4ED »

How difficult (or not difficult) is the upgrade? Does the PiZ 2 just plug in exactly where the PiZ 1 is? No soldering needed?
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

K4ED wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:41 pm How difficult (or not difficult) is the upgrade? Does the PiZ 2 just plug in exactly where the PiZ 1 is? No soldering needed?
If you order one with the header installed already then yes, otherwise you have to solder the 40 pin header in yourself.

Once you have physically swapped over all that's needed is to plug in the SD card and apply power.
--

Brian G8SEZ
YL3IM

Post by YL3IM »

I bought a Zero 2WH with pre-soldered GPIO pins and just replaced the previous board. Works great.