Unable to Tx to hotspot (though hat recognizes the attempt)

General support for the Pi-Star System
W8ZII

Unable to Tx to hotspot (though hat recognizes the attempt)

Post by W8ZII »

Greetings. I've put together a Pi-Star hotspot with an MMDVM HS_Dual v1.3 clone. I've got it mostly up and running, but I think I'm missing something.

I have the unit set to DMR, connecting to BrandMeister Master 3103. The unit definitely transmits; I receive the BM TG I've assigned to TS2 without incident; the transmitting operator's information shows up on the screen and everything. Whenever I transmit with my BTech DMR-6X2 Pro, however, the PTT and DMR lights come on, and I get "Downlink Activate received from W8ZII" in the logs, but nothing seems to go out. Programmed TGs, Parrot, TG9...no response. Local RF activity remains blank, as well. I've used mmdvmcal to verify it's working hardware wise, and it fully recognizes when I transmit (using talkaround mode, of course); average BER is less than 1%.

Ideas, please?
UT4URT

Re: Unable to Tx to hotspot (though hat recognizes the attempt)

Post by UT4URT »

Have you found out any solution to this issue by now?
I have the same problem with my Motorola R7 and Baofeng DM-1801. I'm inclined to thing the problem is not related to HS with its settings, but it rather has something to do with the radio connecting the HS. I just can't see which thing is to be corrected in my radio settings to make the radio Tx the HS.
Boris, UT4URT
M7HMM

Post by M7HMM »

I had a very similar issue where I could only transmit to the duplex hotspot when it was in "Listening DMR" mode, I then realized I programmed some channels wrong on my radio forgetting to set the correct the duplex mode. This resulted in the radio transmitting on the same frequency as the hotspot and the weird situation when the hotspot sometimes heard my radio and sometimes not.

After calibrating the hotspot, I was able to get nearly 0% BER; however, I found it quite weird that the TX range reached around 500m from my house but the hotspot won't hear my radio. In comparison, I also have a simplex hotspot (both are Jumbospots) and that one can hear my radio from that same far location.

I thought something was broken with my setup but I think it might be the positioning and the fact duplex radio has antennas next to each other. I'll figure it out I guess, I'm new to this to be honest.
EA3BIL

Post by EA3BIL »

Are the TX and RX QRGs "spread" at least, 5Mhz?

As per my personal experience, they need to be...
73'Rafael.
EA3BIL
JN11an