General support for the Pi-Star System
GW6RTV

SSH session

Post by GW6RTV »

How do I go about setting up a SSH session
KN2TOD

Re: SSH session

Post by KN2TOD »

Dashboard --> Configuration --> Expert --> SSH Access; key in your user id and password; starts a "Shell-in-a-Box" session.

Alternatively, you can use programs like Termius or Tabby to connect to Pi-Star directly; out of the box, Pi-Star is set to accept such SSH connections.

For file transfers and the like, try WinSCP or other FTP-type programs rather than trying to initiate system-to-system transfers via the command line.
GW6RTV

Post by GW6RTV »

Many thanks for the info.
GW6RTV

Post by GW6RTV »

Sadly I am still unable to a SSH session, can anyone give me a step by step procedure of how to connect, in case I am missing some thing.
TIA
John
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

ASSUMING you have access to the Pi-Star Dashboard in a browser:

1) click on the ADMIN selection in the header
2) enter user name (pi-star) and password (raspberry) and hit enter
3) click on CONFIGURATION selection in the header
4) click on EXPERT selection in the header
5) click on the SSH ACCESS in the header
6) enter user name (pi-star) and then password (raspberry)

If you're getting tripped up somewhere in these steps, you'll have to provide more details about your initial setup: what kind of system(s) are you using here and what error messages are appearing, etc.
GW6RTV

Post by GW6RTV »

I get as far as item 6, it allows me to enter username (pi-star} I hit enter so as to enter password (all good so far), I type in the password (raspberry) nothing shows on the screen to confirm I have entered any thing, I hit enter, and nothing happens.!!
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

My recommendation would be to use something like PuTTY to go direct SSH rather than through some web browser overhead.

PuTTY may show an error message indicating some reason for not authenticating.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KO3F

Post by KO3F »

On my MacBook, the SSH function does not work unless I go to the bottom of the SSH page and click on "Click here for full screen SSH client". Then I can enter login and password and get to the terminal prompt.