firmware read error

Help with the Orange Pi Zero
N3SRZ

firmware read error

Post by N3SRZ »

Hi all
I am running an Orange Pi Zero and and MMDVM HS HAT Dual, which also has an onboard USB C connector so it can also used a usb MMDVM board.
When I use use it has a HAT I get the error "Unable to read the firmware version after six attempts" and the board won't work. If I connect it to the OrangePi as a usb board and select a USB Modem it works fine.
How do I clear the error?
Do I reload firmware? When I saw the error I reloaded a fresh image or Pi-Star and started again.

Not my first time setting up a hot spot, I have several of them with different hats and SBC's.
73De N3SRZ
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: firmware read error

Post by M1DNS »

Sounds like you have not selected the correct modem type for the board you have when its sat on the GPIO.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
N3SRZ

Post by N3SRZ »

I have tried many different modems. The board has MMDVM_HS_DUAL_HAT and STM-32/MMDVM_HS Raspberry Pi Hat (GPIO) silkscreened on the bottom of the board. When I have it set up to work with BlueDV next to firmware it shows "MMDVM_HS_DUAL_H.....". When I contacted the vendor they suggested STM32?
Modem is set for MMDVM_HS_Dual_Hat (DB9MAT, DF2ET and DO7EN)
Any ideas on what to try for modem ?
thanks
73 de N3SRZ
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

Out of curiosity, what does "sudo pistar-findmodem" return?
N3SRZ

Post by N3SRZ »

I was curious and tried that a few times, it returned nothing.
Even connected USB
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

What do you get when your hat is sitting on the GPIO?

Code: Select all

sudo pistar-mmdvmhshatreset
Does this command even acknowledge your hat?

Code: Select all

gpio readall -x
N3SRZ

Post by N3SRZ »

I left it alone for a few days unpowered and disconnected .... it started up and worked ok. D-Star Led lit up on the hat as it transmitted, and I there were entries in the dashboard. The mode enabled for d-star was green for a bit and then turned red and the network status is green.
Gpio readall -x showed a nice chart of the gpio status but not sure how to read it. I will do it on a working pi to compare.
pistar-mmdvmhashatreset does not exist. is it a variation of pistar-mmdvmhshatflash -reset?

Not that is matters but I did get a board for a NanoPi Neo and that works. I had that NanoPi Neo for years with no MMDVM board but it did have pi-star loaded.

Thanks for helping
Dave N3SRZ
N3SRZ

Post by N3SRZ »

I unpowered the setup for a few hours and restarted it and for a about 5 mins it worked ok.... didn't touch anything and then it lost connection with the hat. Reconnected to BlueDV on my laptop and it worked fine.
I am going to try to figure out the gpio pins on the Oranepi and the Raspberry pi and see if I can cross connect it.
I saw a video where a guy in europe figured out he could mount a Raspberry Pi MMDVM board backwards on and orange pi and it worked. I will look at that even if I need to use jumbers.

N3srz