touchscreen via pizero W

General support for the Pi-Star System
2E0WHN

touchscreen via pizero W

Post by 2E0WHN »

Looking to connect the Pi zero W with a 7" touchscreen with a MMDVM hat.

First off, is this possible? Can I connect a pi zero W to use as a screen instead of the standard OLED3.
Second is that I have it is a FLIRC case for Pi zero so maybe output via the HDMI and micro USB for the touchscreen might work.
lastly,
Can this be done with some code and a workaround. Something to show the connection, call in and where it is connected to type of thing.

Has this been done and if so, how.
DMR ID: 2347152

As a child I was made to walk the plank.
We couldn't afford a dog.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: touchscreen via pizero W

Post by M1DNS »

If your hotspot has an oled display its prob. based on a pi zero. If so that board doesnt have the processing power to run a GUI to drive a HDMI screen if your intent is to have the pistar dash open and displayed on it.

If you need a bigger screen, look at using a nextion screen with ur hotspot. They range upto 10" and its use wontimpact that much on the Pi.

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G935F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
M0MEB

Re: touchscreen via pizero W

Post by M0MEB »

I have, successfully, tested using my MMDVM, Pi Zero W, and Nextion 7” screen.
The biggest issue I faced, was finding a Nextion image, for the screen, as most popular sizes are 2.4, 2.8, and 3.5 inch screens.
I have not, (so far), noticed any major issues. My only change, will be to power the screen separately, as it does ‘flicker’ a little. My 2.4” screen is fine being powered from the hotspot.