No access to Pi-Star dashboard/website

General support for the Pi-Star System
K0AMY

No access to Pi-Star dashboard/website

Post by K0AMY »

I had a power failure, (common where I am) as my monitor does not automatically reboot when that happens. In the past when this has happened, I enter the hotspot IP Address in the URL and I'm back in business. Now, almost immediately, it shows an error message.... I'm wondering if the improper shutdown this time caused the SD card to corrupt? Or, could it have effected the hotspot? Ugh! Suggestions? Thanks in advance! ~ Amy
P.S. After reading some other posts, perhaps my issue is my IP Address is conflicted. I will research that first.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: No access to Pi-Star dashboard/website

Post by M1DNS »

Guessing the only way youll know for sure is to attach a monitor and watch the boot process.

With a keyboard attached, if it is booting you can use ifconfig to show any ip address its seeing.

Another way might be to login to ur router look at connected devices, if its connected it should show there and return an ip add. Also whilst ur there setup an address reservation for ur hotspot so it always gets allocated the same add.

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G935F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
K0AMY

Post by K0AMY »

Problem solved. I have an app for my Linksys router.... looked up the Pi-Star device and noted that the IP Address changed. Not sure why after all this time and past reboots etc.... but entered the new IP Address and I'm back in business. ~ Amy, K0AMY
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

Standard operating procedure: IP addresses are assigned incrementally on a first-come, first-assigned basis. The ordering is wiped clean during power outages, so when each device comes back online, one would naturally expect to get a different address. Also, if a individual device goes offline for an extended period of time, it is also possible its registration in the DNS expires and so could possibly get a different address when it comes back online. Something to keep in mind for the next time there's a planned or unplanned outage.
NQ4T

Post by NQ4T »

K0AMY wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:55 am Not sure why after all this time and past reboots etc.... but entered the new IP Address and I'm back in business. ~ Amy, K0AMY
Like was stated....your router has a DHCP server that assigns IPs to devices on that first-come first-serve basis. When a new device hooks to the network it broadcasts a request for DHCP...the DHCP server then takes the MAC address of that device and looks it up in the DHCP table. IF the entry exists and the IP hasn't be reassigned...it will hand it the same IP.

But...when the device is offline for an extended period of time..it's lease expires and it can back in to the pool of available IPs. The next unknown device that requests DHCP configuration may get it. It may assign it a different IP if the pool is large enough. I think in your case the router was offline long enough it either decided to clear the DHCP table or it was storing it in RAM. So when the power came back on...it had no idea of what IPs these devices had.

I always reserve IPs for local devices. That creates a permanent entry in DHCP that assigns that MAC address to that IP. In fact on my pfSense I'm not allowed to put reservations in the same pool as my dynamic hosts. All of my servers are below .100 and all my dynamic network devices are .110 - .249.