Interface is down

Help and support for ZUMSpot Hardware
KM4UJP

Interface is down

Post by KM4UJP »

No matter what I do, I can not get my Zumspot to connect to my WiFi.

I have created a new wpa_ file. Re imaged the SD card you name it.

I have let it search for the network, it finds it just fine, but when I say Save and Connect, nothing. I let it sit there for 2 hours this afternoon trying to connect, nothing. The software just says Interface is down.

Wow, this is crazy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
KE0FHS

Re: Interface is down

Post by KE0FHS »

How do you get to the Wireless Configuration section where the Save and Connect button is? Are you using Auto AP?

One thing to check: a space in the network name can cause problems connecting to some routers.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
KM4UJP

Post by KM4UJP »

I get to the Save and Connect box through the Dashboard, Configuration box.

I was using AP but just now turned it off, rebooted and will see how it goes.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

If you can reach Pi-Star via the dashboard, then one of two things is happening:
  • Pi-Star is connected to the same WiFi network that your computer with the browser is using.
  • Pi-Star has created its own access point, called Auto AP, that you have used to connect to Pi-Star via your computer's browser.
In the first case, which seems most likely given that you already added a wpa_supplicant.conf file, Pi-Star is already connected to WiFi. In that case, are you trying to connect to a second WiFi network? Connecting to another network is a bit more involved, as Pi-Star will attempt to connect in the order those networks are listed in the wpa_supplicant.conf file. If it successfully connects to the first, it's not going to attempt to connect to the second. If you want it to connect to the second, you need to turn the first WiFi network off, or you need to reorder the networks in the wpa_supplicant.conf file and then reboot Pi-Star.

As this is a slightly more complex topic than fits in a forum post, suggest you do some background reading:
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
W1KMC

Post by W1KMC »

Interface is down is also shown if you run a Pi3 and keep it plugged in by wire to a router (set and forget I call it) as the only thing that sows is for WIRELESS, so if you are seeing interface is down this may be my guess as to why, but just in case

OK, here goes again, please search forum before posting, this is answered many many times.

Since version 3.4.10 (or 11) I think. Pi-star has built into it a way that if it does not 'see' a network in already knows about (read new burn and DO NOT put in a wpa_supplicant file when burning, (now there is no need) ) then it creates its own access point (AP Mode is on by default on new burns)

So here is what to do:

1 if you want to start from scratch, then wipe the sd card with an SD Card formatter program (windows has a format but does not do well with sd cards a program called SDcard Formatter is available on the web) and do a complete (not quick) format depending on size of card this may take 15 minutes. When done, then burn the image again with etcher or Win32 DiskImager (both on the web), I use win32 disk Imager personally.

2 when done (or if you already step 1 prior) pop the card into your Pi device (Zero, Pi3 whatever you use) most new Pi0 and Pi3 ModelB or B+ have the wireless built in so no wireless dongle needed- If you use a Pi3 you can make this simple by plugging in a network cable (at least to set up your networks anyways - then use straight wireless after that)

3 wait up to 3 minutes and then use your computer, tablet, smart phone, whatever and show available networks, not only should you see your home network but one named Pi-Star setup (on one that has NO networks known to it or Pi-Star if it knows of some networks but cannot find one

4 Select the Pi-Star and the password is raspberry (don't ever change this one) -- make sure your computing device connects.

5 now in your computing device's browser type 192.168.50.1 (normally) -- Pistar MAY work on full computers or laptops but sometimes not so use the IP for now.

6 Now scroll down to the wireless section -- this WILL show interface is down as no networks are known at this point. Click on Configure WiFi (By the way the section just above Wireless has some 'switches' the bottom one says Use AP -- this should be ON -- if off NONE of this will work)

7 On the configure wifi windo at the bottom click on the Search for networks (10 seconds) button and see what shows up.

8 Click the select button next to the wifi you want to connect to (as stated spaces, weird characters [hyphens and underscores are OK - mine has them], may cause issues on the Pi devices when tryingto connect) now type the wifi networks password, again the weir characters thing may apply here too. Now save and connect.

9 For good measure I also click the apply changes above it just to be sure. Now I also go to Admin -> Power and do a Reboot. now wait again and while you wait reconnect to your "Real"wifi -- same one as you just told the Pi about. If your Pi/radio board has a screen (oled will start scrolling MMDVM -- Nextions not sure what that does) now type in a browser pistar -- if on the same network you should see the dashboard.

10 If you see the dashboard, then you are done and if you scroll down you should now see the details of your Pi's wireless connection, if not then something else is wrong and we need more details to figure it out.

Good Luck.
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
KM4UJP

Post by KM4UJP »

Hi Kevin,

I followed all your instructions to the t.

Reformatted using SD Card Formatter.

Reimaged using Etcher.

No wpa file added.

Using another computer as well as this one, I can see the Pi-Star setup network and I can connect, using this computer as well as another.

However, when I try to use the IP address is says http://192.168.50.1/ is unreachable.

I tried http://pi-star.local/ and one time the software opened and I was able to scroll down to WiFi setup. It found my network, I put in the network key, clicked Save And Connect. Next message was "pi-star network took too long to respond" and timed out.

Now I can even though I am connected to the Pi-star setup network, the software will not open. I get the following error message: " pi-star.local's server IP address could not be found.

I am beginning to think my ZumSpot is defective.

It seems strange that once in a while I can get the software to open but only rarely.

Before I reformatted and used a wpa file I , it would open every time, but alas it would not connect to my WiFi network. Yes the computer that I was using was also connected to that network.

I am going to try adding back the wpa file to see if I can get the software to open on my other laptop.

I am totally at a loss. Have been messing with this thing for 4 days and no joy.

TIA

KM4UJP
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

This is almost certainly not a ZUMspot issue. It's probably an issue with the way your router is configured. In the less likely event that it is a hardware issue, it would be with the Raspberry Pi, which handles the connection to WiFi.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
KM4UJP

Post by KM4UJP »

When I added the wpa file back to the SD card I can open the Dashboard and access configuration and make and save changes.

It continues to tell me that the Interface is down.

I have rebooted my router, I have tried pressing the WPS button on the router while the Zum is trying to connect.

Does anyone have any idea for something that I might try before I see if HRO will take this POS back?

Thanks
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Just want to make sure you understand one thing: If you connect to Pi-Star using Auto AP (in other words, by connecting your computer to the Pi-Star-Setup access point), you are connecting to a private network that is not connected to your router or to the internet. That's a direct connection between your computer and the hotspot using the access point that is created by the Raspberry Pi and Pi-Star's Auto AP feature. That connection exists only to enable you to navigate to the Pi-Star Configuration page and set up your wireless network.

You can't actually connect to your wireless network while your computer and hotspot are connected via the private Auto AP network. Instead, after you enter your wireless network information, you need to disconnect your computer from the Pi-Star-Setup network and reconnect it to your regular wireless network, and you need to reboot your hotspot. Then you connect to Pi-Star using your computer via your regular wireless network that is connected to the internet. That's when you can actually start using your hotspot.

(This points to one UI issue with Pi-Star: when your computer is connected to Pi-Star via Auto AP and you you add your wireless network, the button labeled Save and Connect is not correctly labeled because it only saves; it doesn't connect. This is a legacy thing because that button existed before the Auto AP feature was added, when it was used--and still can be used--to save and connect to a new wireless network you're manually adding.)

If that's not working, then there are a bunch of things that might be at fault.
  • You might have a bad microSD card.
  • There might be a problem with the Raspberry Pi, which is the piece of hardware that actually handles the wireless connectivity.
  • There might be an issue with the way your router is configured.
  • I get the impression you don't believe me (from your use of "POS"), but if the issue is network-related, the ZUMspot is almost certainly not one of the things that might be at fault. It doesn't have any built-in wireless connectivity, and instead depends on the Raspberry Pi to handle the connectivity to your network. The ZUMspot doesn't know and doesn't care how you are connected to the internet. You can use a wired connection, a wireless connection to a router, or even a wireless or USB tethered connection to your phone's hotspot. The ZUMspot simply receives the signal that is passed through the RPi via any of those connectivity methods.
  • The only case I can think of where the ZUMspot might be the source of the problem is if it isn't seated properly on the RPi's GPIO pins (I've heard of that happening, though very rarely, but it's worth it to separate and reconnect the two boards just in case), or I guess there might be an issue with how the GPIO header is soldered to the ZUMspot (I've never actually heard of that happening before, but it theoretically could).
Since you're so frustrated at this point, it might be a good idea for you to return the ZUMspot to HRO and instead purchase a hotspot product like the Micro-Node Nano-Spot, which doesn't require any assembly.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
KM4UJP

Post by KM4UJP »

You can't actually connect to your wireless network while your computer and hotspot are connected via the private Auto AP network. Instead, after you enter your wireless network information, you need to disconnect your computer from the Pi-Star-Setup network and reconnect it to your regular wireless network, and you need to reboot your hotspot. Then you connect to Pi-Star using your computer via your regular wireless network that is connected to the internet. That's when you can actually start using your hotsp

How do I connect my computer to the pi-star by my regular WiFi?