Old Zum MMDVM on a new Raspberry Pi4/B ??

Help and support for ZUMSpot Hardware
KG7BCC

Old Zum MMDVM on a new Raspberry Pi4/B ??

Post by KG7BCC »

Have a new Raspberry Pi 4/B arriving soon. Anyone ever fit the little ZUMspot-RPI v0.6 on one? I want to avoid buying a new hat if possible.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Jim
KN2TOD

Re: Old Zum MMDVM on a new Raspberry Pi4/B ??

Post by KN2TOD »

A pi-0 form factor HAT can be used on the larger PI-2/3/4's without problems, except to note that the larger form factors do not provide support on all four corners of the HAT so care must be take to not torque the HAT too much as all it's physical support depends on its GPIO connector.

You can booster the HAT by add the necessary spacer/nut/screws for the two corners on the edge or by buying cases (full or half-open) that better accommodate the combo of wide board and narrow HAT.
KG7BCC

Post by KG7BCC »

Excellent. Thank you.
KG7BCC

Post by KG7BCC »

😊 one last question, I think. My HAT has a 40 pin GPIO female connection. (20 rows). Most of the HAT's I see today have only 10 at each end. Leaving 20 center Pi male GPIO pins "unconnected". Is this problematic?
KG7BCC

Post by KG7BCC »

Yep, problematic. From what I'm reading. I'll grab a different HAT.
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

Problematic?!? I have several "20-pin" hats that function exactly the same as the 40-pin hats. The center block of 20 pins are effectively "inert" - they aren't used by the circuitry on the HAT in any way. My guess is the 20 pin versions are simply a design/manufacturing decision: two 20 pin blocks are cheaper (and easier to mount?) than one 40 pin block (and perhaps provide better air flow around the whole package and an alternate route for a loose cable between the boards or a more physical/firmer support for the board in general: 40 pins are better than 20, eh?). But problematic? Who knows?
KG7BCC

Post by KG7BCC »

Cool thank you! I give a go tonight.