Mabuhay from Cebu, central Philippines.

If you just want to say hello, start here!
DW7GDL

Mabuhay from Cebu, central Philippines.

Post by DW7GDL »

("Mabuhay" literally means "long live." It's a common salutation here.)

I'm Jay, a retired American living in Cebu City, Philippines. I never had a ham license until I took the Philippine exam last June and got my license in early September, 2013 with the callsign DW7GDL. I got a Yaesu FTDX10 for HF and a Yaesu FT-60R FM HT right away. In November I added a Retevis RT95 VOX 25W FM mobile/base to the shack. Current antennas are a terminated end-fed inverted V for HF and a roll-up dual band slim jim for VHF/UHF.

In December I bought a used Yaesu FT-70DR from a fellow club member, sir Ed, DW7AAM, and early in January 2024 bought a simplex MMDVM hotspot based on a Raspberry Pi Zero W on an online shopping service, Lazada Philippines. It came with an apparently fake SanDisk micro SD card that had Pi-Star v3.4.11 pre-installed but on discovering how old that version was (Debian Jessie) I re-imaged the card with 4.1.7. That card failed after a few days but I had genuine SanDisk Ultra cards left over from my ADS-B feeding days. I'm currently running Pi-Star 4.2.0 beta with YSF, YSF2DMR and POCSAG enabled. I may have contacted some of you on the air already, whether on YSF or DMR.

I just found that my forum registration has been activated so I thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself.

73 de Jay DW7GDL
AA7US

Re: Mabuhay from Cebu, central Philippines.

Post by AA7US »

Well done on your ham radio journey Jay!

John L.
AA7US