mobile dmr hotspot set up

General support for the Pi-Star System
W4ejv

mobile dmr hotspot set up

Post by W4ejv »

I currently have a home hotspot configured and working and am building another for use in the RV . Which consists of a pi-3b+ and a mmdvm board and would like to use my Att nighthawk hotspot for internet connection to the pi star network, I am not sure of the steps to follow. I have downloaded pi-star to sd card , placed it into raspberry board and connected it to the mobile hot spot. When I do a network scan on the desktop it doesn’t show up nor does the mobile hotspot show a device connected. I am new to DMR so there’s a lot I don’t understand any help or suggestion's would be appreciated.
Jim W4ejv
G8SEZ

Re: mobile dmr hotspot set up

Post by G8SEZ »

What is the MMDVM board you are using? You need to check a few things, the mobile WiFi you want to connect to needs to match the bands available on the Pi. This is likely to be 2.4GHz only on older Pi models, I can't remember what a 3+ has by the way of WiFi capability.

If the Pi and MMDVM are working then you should be able to scan for the AP it creates and connect to that to configure everything else. You can also use the WiFi builder at the pistar.uk site to create a wpa_supplicant.conf with the credentials to connect to your WiFi, this is copied to the root partition of the SD card in the Pi and then on the next boot it should find and connect to this WiFi.

Please come back if I have been either inaccurate or a bit too rapid in this description.
--

Brian G8SEZ
W4ejv

Post by W4ejv »

Thanks for the reply, Iam using a Aursinc mmdvm oled board. the ATT Nighthawk by netgear is a 3g/4g hotspot . The pi 3b+ is 2.4 and 5ghz with on board Wi-Fi/Bluetooth . when the pi is powered up I have a solid green light, a red blinking light and a red power light but no ole screen. I downloaded my backup pi config to the sd card . My connection to the ATT hotspot is by Ethernet cable but it shows nothing connected to it. not sure what else I can tell you as I am new to all of this dmr stuff.
W4ejv

Post by W4ejv »

I now have worked it out and it does connect to my mobile hotspot, now to add it to my config. Pi page. Thank you for your help. Any other advice or suggestions always appreciated..

Jim W4ejv