Pi Zero Install time?

General support for the Pi-Star System
WB2UZR

Pi Zero Install time?

Post by WB2UZR »

Hi All:

I recently started using Pi Star again after some time. I downloaded the file, put it on the SD card, but it never seemed to boot up on my Zumspot mini. I happened to have an older version on an SD card that I had used before, and was able to install no problem, and it updated to the most current version. My question is, how long does it generally take for the install? I see there is an auto expand function that occurs when first setting up, it was a new 32 gb sd card. I am up and running on the old card, but just curious if I messed something up in the install, (which is certainly possible!)

Thanks!

Scott/WB2UZR
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Pi Zero Install time?

Post by M1DNS »

If you pulled power during the expand process you've prob. borked ur card.
Try rewriting and starting over.

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G960F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
WB2UZR

Post by WB2UZR »

Thanks, Ill try that. I was just curious as to how long it can take, will redo the whole process.

Scott/WB2UZR
DW7GDL

Post by DW7GDL »

WB2UZR wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:07 pm Thanks, Ill try that. I was just curious as to how long it can take, will redo the whole process.

Scott/WB2UZR
A Pi Zero (not a Zero 2) is a slow, low-resource computer with IIRC a single processor core and 512Mb of RAM so it can take 5 minutes or longer for it to expand the file system on first boot. The higher-capacity the SD card, the longer it takes. Plus on first boot it has to copy the default user profile and configuration settings from /etc/default to /home/pi-star which also takes some time. I would give it a good 10 or 15 minutes to completely boot up. Subsequent boots will be faster, it's just the very first one that's very slow.
73 de Jay DW7GDL
WB2UZR

Post by WB2UZR »

Thanks Jay!

Scott/WB2UZR