raspberry pi with ssd

General support for the Pi-Star System
PA5WIL

raspberry pi with ssd

Post by PA5WIL »

I have a raspberry pi working from a nvme ssd. Is het possible to install pi-star on a ssd?
WG4USA

Re: raspberry pi with ssd

Post by WG4USA »

using the "dd" command, it should be possible, yes

though using an ssd/nvme seems like, from the outside looking in, may be overkill
PA5WIL

Post by PA5WIL »

I can flash pi-star to a nvme ssd for raspberry pi 5. But it is not booting.
WG4USA

Post by WG4USA »

web search. Not sure how it's done on the rpi5. I think on the rpi4, you have to initially boot off of microsd card and tinker with a config within raspi-config, though I am not sure
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

You cant burn ur download file to an ssd and expect it to run as it would if it we're burnt to an sd card.

Theres a whole host of magic youll need to cunjure up to make it run from an ssd/ nvme :)

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G935F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

Actually, not a lot of magic involved: a couple of SED commands that make some simple changes to three files on an existing system and the image is ready to be cloned/booted to/from other SD cards, USB's, SSD's and NVME's.
PA5WIL

Post by PA5WIL »

KN2TOD wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:45 am Actually, not a lot of magic involved: a couple of SED commands that make some simple changes to three files on an existing system and the image is ready to be cloned/booted to/from other SD cards, USB's, SSD's and NVME's.
but wich commands? With google i find nothing how to that
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

--

Brian G8SEZ
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

PA5WIL wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:05 am
KN2TOD wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:45 am Actually, not a lot of magic involved: a couple of SED commands that make some simple changes to three files on an existing system and the image is ready to be cloned/booted to/from other SD cards, USB's, SSD's and NVME's.
but wich commands? With google i find nothing how to that
You must prep any Pi-Star image (on a microSD card) before it can be cloned to an alternate type of device:

<https://github.com/kn2tod/pistar-boot-from-usb>

Once so prepped, the revised image can be cloned over and over again. I typically use Etcher but Pi-Imager works just as well. You can also mount both drives side-by-side on the Pi, but the cloning process is more involved that way, IMHO.

Best you start with a small microSD card: you can clone to larger sizes but not to ones smaller than the original.
ad4uu

Post by ad4uu »

I am also having an issue with getting Pi-star image 4.3 to boot from a ssd NVMe ssd card using the PCIe express connection.

It will boot fine on the Original 4.3 image from The raspberry pi folks. I also have it booting fine from ASL Link allstar image.

It appears the pi-star image is missing some of the files to boot form the ssd.
Error I am getting:
/scripts/local-premount/firstboot: 11 /scripts/local-premount/firstboot: grep: not found
Gave up waiting for root file system device.

I am not an expert on the OS and was hoping to get it working like my ASL nodes.

I have read the other post and how to make it work with a usb ssd. But I am using PCIe connection.

Be nice to get it working if possible. Hopefully there with be a pi-star image that will support the ssd PCIe connection.
It woks fine with the the raspberry pi down load so something different with the pi-star image.

Thanks all

Dave/AD4UU