Firmware Locked

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Firmware Locked

Post by MW0MWZ »

If you have a problem with your MMDVM Hat seeming to have been locked by the vendor, you can try this to unlock it:

SSH into your Pi-Star, stop the services trying to use the Hat:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl stop pistar-watchdog.timer
sudo systemctl stop pistar-watchdog
sudo systemctl stop mmdvmhost.timer
sudo systemctl stop mmdvmhost 
Unlock the MMDVM_HS:

sudo /usr/local/bin/firmware/utils/stm32flash -k -i 20,-21,21:-20,21 /dev/ttyAMA0
sudo /usr/local/bin/firmware/utils/stm32flash -u -i 20,-21,21:-20,21 /dev/ttyAMA0
Update the Firmware:

sudo pistar-modemupgrade
The above command will only show you the update options, find your desired modem from the list, and run the above command with the suffix for your modem.

Please note: *I* do *not* have a modem with locked firmware to test this on, you follow these instructions at your own risk.

This information originally posted by KY4DAG here: viewtopic.php?p=20776#p20776
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
VE9LEG

Re: Firmware Locked

Post by VE9LEG »

For my board, this didn't work. I suspect if you have a board with "jumpers", there's a definite possibility this could work.

I also suspect that somebody with more knowledge of the STM32 microcontrollers and who would know how to get the proper pins in the correct state, could get my board and STM32 microcontroller to -u "Disable the flash write-protection" and -k "Disable the flash read-protection".

This instructions posted could be very valuable for certain board owner, so I would recommend they give it a shot if their flash is read and/or write protected. Those appear to be the commands to disable the protection, but it appears as if you need to the the microcontroller in a state to accept those commands.

FYI: I'm no expert to this topic either.
VE9LEG

Re: Firmware Locked

Post by VE9LEG »

Update: I was able to flash it by pulling pin 20 to ground. At least I believe that's pin 20.

Either way, I followed the image and I'm now at firmware version 1.6.1

PS: This is not my image, jut a copy of the one which was provided to me.
Attachments
flash.jpg
flash.jpg (113.05 KiB) Viewed 815 times