Pi-Star 4.2.1 Upgrade

General support for the Pi-Star System
KO3F

Pi-Star 4.2.1 Upgrade

Post by KO3F »

I recently bought a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W with Pi-Star 4.1.8 already loaded. I see there is a new version 4.2.1. I am unable to upgrade to this version using the update and upgrade commands. Will I need to flash a new SD card to the new version in order to upgrade? Thanks
KN2TOD

Re: Pi-Star 4.2.1 Upgrade

Post by KN2TOD »

Yes. The 4.1.8 version (running under the Buster version of PiOS) can not be update/upgraded to the 4.2.1 version (running under the Bullseye version) - you must re-image.
KO3F

Post by KO3F »

Thanks
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

KO3F wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:29 amThanks
But you can copy the backup zip file and wpa_supplicant.conf to the new image and that should get you back to where you were nice and simply.
--

Brian G8SEZ
KO3F

Post by KO3F »

Got it!
HB9FUH

Post by HB9FUH »

Did you manage to update? I can't get 4.2.x to run on my Pi Zero W at all. I tried three different SD cards but no luck.
WU0V

Post by WU0V »

HB9FUH: I had exactly the same problem with the same hat and same pi zero w 1.1. After several frustrating attempts to upgrade I finally decided to get a new SanDisk 64Gig microSD card. I had been reluctant to do that because of the cost and because I have several microSD cards that are not in use. The new card is much faster than the 8GB card I’d been trying to use, besides having the extra capacity.
Just to be extra careful I re-downloaded and unzipped the 4.2.1.zip file. Then once I had flashed it to the 64GB card (using Etcher) I copied the config backup.zip file as usual, but I DIDN’T copy the wpa_supplicant.conf file. The backup function in pi-star already saves that information, and I wonder if adding the wpa_supplicant file into the mix is what causes the upgrade to stop. This time the upgrade was quick and flawless although I had to do an Update to bring in the latest dashboard version.
This morning I made another copy of 4.2.1, this time on an older, slower, 16GB microSD card. I was curious to see if a larger, newer card was really necessary. Again I didn’t put the wpa_supplicant file on the card. I put that card into another Jumbospot hat I have, which is on an PI 3B board. It upgraded flawlessly again. That introduced another variable - whether the Pi 3B board is what made the difference. I can’t say which factor made the upgrade work on an older, smaller card, but you might try a newer large card, redownload the upgrade, try a different flasher app, and not copy the supplicant file.
As others have commented, the upgraded OS in 4.2.1 is a bigger load for the ZeroW, but it does work. I’ve ordered a zero2w and will retire the older model, maybe as an emergency backup or as a mobile unit to use with my iPhone.
Best of luck to you!
ONE MORE THING — be sure your MMDVM hat firmware is up to date: version 1.6.1. I think the 4.2.1 won’t run on older firmware.