OLED on ZumSpot

All things relating to OLED Screen(s)
KD8VIG

OLED on ZumSpot

Post by KD8VIG »

Hello,

I now have an OLED display for my ZumSpot. It uses the I2C interface and I am having trouble getting it to work. I correctly soldered the +3.3V, GND, SDA, and SCL lines from the display to the through holes on the ZumSpot, just below the LEDs. In Pi-Star, I selected the display type as OLED, but nothing still shows up. Did I miss something?

Thanks,

Ryan
W8DEX

Re: OLED on ZumSpot

Post by W8DEX »

Some OLED displays have SCL and SDA switched. Have you checked the pins on the display to see if they match the holes/pins on the Zumspot?
KD8VIG

Post by KD8VIG »

Yes, the pins all match. I am also getting 3.3V on the display. I notice in some configurations you need to run 'sudo raspi config' to setup the I2C, but the Pi-Star image doesn't allow that.

-Ryan
KD8VIG
W8DEX

Post by W8DEX »

If you are using the pi-star image it should not require you to enable the I2C, it should already be done by the os of that image.

Maybe you just have a bad OLED.

Can you test it with an arduino or with rpi by itself without the hotspot hat?
I would suggest and arduino as there already is code samples in the ide to test OLED.

But if you only have an rpi, burn an image of Raspbian an find one of the many samples to connect and test an OLED on rpi.

Testing the device is probably a good way to troubleshoot...

Cheers
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

I have some vague recollection that the headers on the Zumspot are for the I2c port of the on board MCU and are not directly connected to the I2c port on the raspberry pi. I've soldered mine directly to the Zumspot board on the top of the GPIO header and that works just fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

KE2SJ

Post by KE2SJ »

Can someone post a photo of the soldered I2C interface to the GPIO pins on the Zumspot? Thanks!!
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

KE2SJ wrote:Can someone post a photo of the soldered I2C interface to the GPIO pins on the Zumspot? Thanks!!
Scroll down to where it says "display module setup"

https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2018 ... berry-pi/

Just make sure you NOT to reverse the vcc & ground otherwise that magic blue smoke is going to escape!

KE2SJ

Post by KE2SJ »

Cheers for the diagram! Is there anything I need to do in Pi-Star like set the interface from Modem to something else? Any programming I need to do to get the OLED working? Can the new designs be loaded onto those less-than-one-inch displays, and if so, how? Thanks and sorry for all questions. Great web site you have!
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

KE2SJ wrote:Cheers for the diagram! Is there anything I need to do in Pi-Star like set the interface from Modem to something else? Any programming I need to do to get the OLED working? Can the new designs be loaded onto those less-than-one-inch displays, and if so, how? Thanks and sorry for all questions. Great web site you have!
That menu is for use with the Nextion screen, as the oled is i2c that address has been hard coded so you don't have any options for that. The only setting you might need to alter in the expert panel under mmdvmhost is the oled type, but only if you have a different size than 0.96 (yes you can get bigger)

KD8VIG

Post by KD8VIG »

Hello,

I followed the advice of testing the OLED on my Arduino Uno and it was working correctly. I then soldered it directly to the headers on the top of the ZumSpot and it began to work correctly! As was pointed out earlier, the I2C through-holes on the ZumSpot will not work for installing an OLED!

Thank you all for your help!

Ryan
KD8VIG