What version of pistar on pi b+ and pi 3 b+

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
ke4qdc

What version of pistar on pi b+ and pi 3 b+

Post by ke4qdc »

Trying to help a friend get pistar going on one of his two pi boards. How is the beta experience on the pi 3 B+ or would it be better for a newbie to stick with a more stable pistar version
M0GLJ

Re: What version of pistar on pi b+ and pi 3 b+

Post by M0GLJ »

There is NO difference other than the BETA version for the 3B+ is modified for the RPi. Use the main stream version for any other RPi
GM7RYR

Post by GM7RYR »

Follow on from the original post, I have a Pi A+ and it does not seem to boot from either the standard image or the image for the Pi B+ .

Is there some difference in the hardware that stops either image booting ?

The A+ boots and works fine with the New Raspbian image so it does not seem to be defective device issue .

Any one any experience of Pi Star on the A+ ?

Comments most welcome .

Allister
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Moglj Adrian, who is an Admin in the Pi-Star Users Support Group on Facebook, posted this one week ago in response to a question about the RPi 3a+:
Pi-star will always work on Raspberry Pi’s. the image should work with the new Pi and with the new version of Pi-Star it will. No question. Hope this helps

New version yet to be released but we are making good progress
So it sounds like our RPi 3a+ boards will be supported when Pi-Star v4 is released.

In a separate topic two weeks ago, Andy Taylor said this:
Pi-Star 4 is in the works, this will be pretty much as it is now, but with 3B+ support, the newer ircDDBGateway/DStarRepeater etc but the same dashboard - there may be some interim changes but its mostly what we already have.

Pi-Star 5 will come soon (ish) after that with a new dashboard.

So there is a lot in the works, and it depends a great deal on what else I am doing at the time.
Exciting times ahead!
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

I'm about to update the 3B+ custom image to add in support for the 3A+ also, should be out in beta very soon.

Part of the delays with PS 4 have been longevity issues with Stretch, some of the OS changes really dont like the RO file system, but I really dont want to give it up :) I think have the last of those kinks worked out here... things are moving, all be it slowly.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
WU0V

Post by WU0V »

When PS 4 comes out, will it be installable via the Pi-Star system (e.g. pistar-update/upgrade) or should I get ready to DL and burn a new image? Thought I’d read some speculation that PS 4 would be upgradeable from within.

Regardless of the answer, I’m happy that I decided to migrate to Pi-Star some 14 months ago. I’m frequently amazed at what the various coders involved have been able to implement. I keep being reminded of what Arthur C. Clark said: “Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.” Thanks for keeping the magic coming, guys!