TGIF Lands in Pi-Star

Help with DMR issues
W1RHS

Re: TGIF Lands in Pi-Star

Post by W1RHS »

Andy, Phil and others,

Thank you for adding TGIF support to Pi-Star. Many of us were manually configuring this access. Several of my friends were unwilling to mess with their solid Brandmeister configurations to manually configure TGIF. Having this network built-in is a great addition. The nice thing about Ham Radio is that is so diverse and there is something for everyone. With something as narrowly focused as DMR it is surprising how DMR-MARC, DMR+, Brandmeister and now TGIF have taken on distinctive flavors of their own. Having an additional network can only add to the Ham Radio experience as new things are discovered and developed within each of the networks. Choice is a good thing. I know I speak for a lot of us who appreciate the hard work that you all devote to this excellent project. 73 Rick, W1RHS
Rick, W1RHS
K4WZV

Post by K4WZV »

I have known Andy since the beginning of pi-star and he is one of the greatest people that have put many hours of his spare time into the hobby so we can enjoy things so much more. It is very sad to see someone complain to Andy for anything he does. Nothing but a bunch of thank you's should ever be directed towards Andy. His choice is going to be appreciated by thousands yet I guess there will always be several misinformed Hams that have nothing better to do except cry about things. Maybe you need to come checkout our great network and great group of hams and your opinion will probably change.
Robert
K4WZV
TGIF Admin
Kc9mec

Post by Kc9mec »

We should all give many thank you's for all the time and work Andy has put forth on this project.

I really find it strange to see all the complaining for software that is currently free to the Amateur radio community.
Adding networks only enhances the Digital mode experience. I have seen too much of an attitude of not sharing with the Ham community. There should be no secrets, no private cliqs! ham radio has always been about sharing to keep the hobby alive. There will always be different opinions, but that's how we learn...not by belittling other ham operators.
anyway 73 and again many thanks for Andy's dedication to this project.

;) KC9MEC
GDKaiser
N9KO

Post by N9KO »

Andy, Thanks for making this change.
W1KMC

Post by W1KMC »

I didn't mean to piss people off. I do like TGIF, but I used to be able to get it through NXDN. and IF any read my post as I wrote it, Andy DID say in post # 4 of that thread that it would not be added.

I have friends who love it, but I do not want to be forced to choose one over the other.

W1MSG, I love your videos on Youtube on how to do the functions of the Gateway but a little more on HOW would have been helpful when you did the video on adding TGIF. You see I have 2 or three different sets of instructions, one is adding it to the DMR+ masters but only TG9. The second was adding the TGIF under Network 3, but if, like me you want DMR2NDXN (where you CAN switch rooms on the fly with the 7 prefix (TGIF used to work as 731??? (can't remember off hand), then the network broke down or just switched ) then you cannot do both - it's either or. Then somewhere I read of the adding of Networks 4 and 5 -- they may be just in BETA or whatever, but I did read about it.

If it sounded like whining and complaining, it's not, just pointing to the part where Andy DID say it would not be added as part of the default Pi-Star as instructions for doing it yourself were out there for people who wanted it. And as for me coding, please see my signature where I specificly state that I am no developer or coder. Would I like to learn...sure, but I have no experience and do not know ..what is it in...Python, C++, what?

I did not mean to start a flame war, so I will keep further opinions of TGIF , and other additions to myself.

I thought I was a help in here. 73's

good night
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

You are a big help in this forum, Kevin. I just think the wording of your first post was a bit strong ("did Robert from TGIF cry enough....") and that set some folks on edge. Also, it was Adrian, not Andy, who made that comment in the 4th post. And even if Andy had said it, well, he's the one creating this software that we're all playing with and he would certainly be entitled to change his mind if he wanted to.

Anyway, I think we should all take a deep breath, calm down, and carry on.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

W1KMC wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:50 pm Andy; did Robert from TGIF cry enough that you had to give in and add TGIF (see post 4 in here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1067, where you said you would NOT be adding this to Pi-Star default.

AND do you realize that if you put TGIF on Network 3 you wipe out the cross modes for either YSF or NXDN?

If you must copitulate to robert's whining to be added relegate hime to Network 5 (I read of adding network 4 and 5 on this forum but now cannot find the post)

We should not have to sacrifice one network for another and adding TGIF as a network 3 does just that (or make the crossovers DMR2YSF as Network 4 and DMR2NXDN as Network 5 [as XLX is separate unto itself already and be able to turn on all at once.

Since you did for one and set the president be forewarned of all the others that will now "Demand" to be added to the default setup, you should have stuck to your position.
Kevin,

I neither agree nor dis-agree exactly, so Adrian has posted that Pi-Star will support main stream networks, that is always where the focus is, however, when I get a good amount of interest in anything, there is a drive to add it, how exactly do you define main-stream anyway.

So when I can see that users are modifying Pi-Star themselves to support additional networks, there comes a point where it makes more sense for us to do it correctly, than it does for the users to make their modifications, or worse still for there to be 3rd party images floating about, something I am really not a fan of...

Putting TGIF on network 3 - yes I am well aware this will cripple DMR Cross over moves, but a re-apply on the config page will swap back (however I will add a note to that effect above - so thank you for pointing that out), Pi-Star is a Swiss army knife of MMDVM/DStarRepeater based communication, I neither have to take part in, nor agree with the politics behind the networks, I give users the choices...

When it comes to the choice of the networks you connect to, it is your choice, I have my favourite places to hang out, the network needs to have some kind of actual following before we add them, I don't need a massive list of HBLink servers that have nobody on them, that does not help the world, in the same way that a massive list of empty talk groups does not help either.

Experimentation is the name of the game, is there really room for the TGIF master?, maybe, is it a flash in the pan? also maybe.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

ct1dvm wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:20 am The annoying thing is just as TGIF is just another entry in a list for users to use or not, and easy if so as it is there. Compare this to the restriction on adding P25/NXDN longtime standing reflectors which are very active, but no accessible in pi-star without manually adding, which for many linux inept, is a daunting task. These are just lists. What is the harm in making these reflectors added to the pistar hostfile for access ? There is not differrence in this to a dstar user requesting a dplus host file gateway add etc, which Andy usually accepts with great service.

Some nxdn reflectors well established are ;

# CQUK 10922
10922 81.150.10.62 41400

# 31374 Carolina
31374 carolina.digitallink.us 41400

and for P25 ;

## 31555
31555 13.58.128.112 41000

## 4 Bridge
4 p25.duckdns.org 41004

# Canada 302
302 p25canada.hopto.org 41000

why the brick wall ? pistar users like to have the access up front without having to mess around with the image.
It seems the issue of access is not fair and unbiased.
Thats not my brick wall, Jonathan asked me to stick to the host list from his GitHub page, and out of respect for the man and what he does, that is what I have done, so if you'd like these to come to Pi-Star, get them added to his host files maintained at his GitHub pages (I'll even help you do that if you need it) and we'll go from there.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

Kc9mec wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:06 am We should all give many thank you's for all the time and work Andy has put forth on this project.

I really find it strange to see all the complaining for software that is currently free to the Amateur radio community.
Adding networks only enhances the Digital mode experience. I have seen too much of an attitude of not sharing with the Ham community. There should be no secrets, no private cliqs! ham radio has always been about sharing to keep the hobby alive. There will always be different opinions, but that's how we learn...not by belittling other ham operators.
anyway 73 and again many thanks for Andy's dedication to this project.

;) KC9MEC
GDKaiser
Let me echo this. I couldn't word it any better! Thanks to Andy for all his efforts!
AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

ct1dvm wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:48 am I note your comment "So when I can see that users are modifying Pi-Star themselves to support additional networks, there comes a point where it makes more sense for us to do it correctly, than it does for the users to make their modifications, or worse still for there to be 3rd party images floating about, something I am really not a fan of... " 3rd party Images containing the missing reflectors will be a likely outcome in the future. Trying to get anything added to github, is like getting blood out of a stone, and many have given up trying.
I'm happy to help, nobody has really asked me.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ