Cannot Get Nextion to work under Pi-Star

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
N4NQY

Cannot Get Nextion to work under Pi-Star

Post by N4NQY »

I am trying to add a 3.2 Nextion to my MMDVM_HS Duplex. After adding a Header and pluging it in, all I get is the INFO/Status screen on the Nextion. The TX and RX wires are correct. I have tried all the Port options in Pi-Star and most of the layouts. No difference at all.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Latest Pi-Star image with all updates.

Getting pretty disgusted with myself since I cannot seem to fix the problem/
N4NQY

Re: Cannot Get Nextion to work under Pi-Star

Post by N4NQY »

Additional information. I attached the screen to another Pi-Star hotspot I have with the same results. Must be a Pi-Star setting. I notice that the Full Edit of MMDVM.ini is no longer available and I am not sure where to find it. Probably gets rewritten every update however.

Struggling.
2E0LGZ

Post by 2E0LGZ »

Have you tried another nextion screen file instead of the one you are using now? or re installing the file via usb ttl rather than sd card?
Gary
W9KJO

Post by W9KJO »

N4NQY wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:54 pm I am trying to add a 3.2 Nextion to my MMDVM_HS Duplex. After adding a Header and pluging it in, all I get is the INFO/Status screen on the Nextion. The TX and RX wires are correct. I have tried all the Port options in Pi-Star and most of the layouts. No difference at all.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Latest Pi-Star image with all updates.

Getting pretty disgusted with myself since I cannot seem to fix the problem/
I had this same problem and the issue was the firm ware in the MMDVM. I had to roll it back one version and the screeen started to work.

73, W9KJO
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

I am having the same issue. I have checked all of the wiring TX>RX RX>TX, I just see the MMDVM logo on the screen but get no data on there. I see the comment about rolling back the MMDVM software to the previous rev level, have not done that, what is the trick? I see and have used the command to update the modem to the latest, indeed it took me a bit to get it to work but I stumbled onto a comment that they did multiple updates to the modem at which point it started working, I did the same thing and got the same results, took me about 4 update tries until it would start to work. But I cannot get the Nextion screen to show anything, and I believe it is probably that nothing is getting there.
My setting are
MMDVM Display Type: Nextion , Port: Modem, Nextion Layout: G4KLX
Expert Screen Nextion section
Port Modem
Brightness 50
DisplayClock 1
UTC 0
ScreenLayout 0
IdleBrightness 20

I can find descriptions for all but ScreenLayout. I have tried other numbers there but no joy.

The modem is a duplex dual hat on /dev/ttyAMA0

I suppose that I could test the screen by putting it on a RPi and testing it direct correct?
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

I found out how to do the roll back, did it but no joy. I still have a nice blank screen, any other ideas out there?