[Solved] Can PiStar GUI by installed on the RPi 3B+

General support for the Pi-Star System
VK3KYY

Re: Can PiStar GUI by installed on the RPi 3B+

Post by VK3KYY »

Just to keep this thread up to date ...

I've just done a clean install using the latest PiStar Beta version, and then manually ran sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade (after first enabling RW), and I was then able to run sudo apt install raspberrypi-ui-mods so that xwindows runs OK

But I've not had chance to run the other commands in the GUI installation script that install the Chromium browser and run it in kiosk mode

BTW. I assume that the installGUI.sh script is now out of date, as it has does things like

Code: Select all

# Patch Debian 9
if [[ $(cut -c 1 /etc/debian_version) -eq 9 ]]; then
	sudo apt-get install -y --reinstall libraspberrypi0 libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-bin
fi

and

sudo apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends xinit
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y
which may no longer be required
VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY »

Another update...

Its all working, if I manually execute the commands but some commands in the script are not needed

e.g. I think one of these 2 commands does not install anything (though I cant remember which one)

sudo apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends xinit

and also I think lightdm was already installed

Also the patch for Debian 9 doesn't seem to be needed (as I chose not to install it and the GUI still works without it)
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

The script has been patched, and so has the RC :)

Its why this seems to magically work again now...
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY »

MW0MWZ wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:35 pm The script has been patched, and so has the RC :)

Its why this seems to magically work again now...
Thanks Andy..

I can see that you have changed the Beta as the sources.list file now reference Stretch rather than Jessie, so I presume that the new version is more like Raspbian Stretch Light than Jessie Light.

Since last time I tried the installGUI script, it didnt work, I didn't run the full script on the new version of PiStar

I manually ran ran update and upgrade and installed raspberypi-ui-mods, to confirm that the ui-mods would now install (because thats what failed in the previous PiStar Beta version)

I then ran the other commands in the script, manually, one at a time.

I didn't actually run these lines

# Patch Debian 9
	sudo apt-get install -y --reinstall libraspberrypi0 libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-bin
fi
And it still seemed to work OK for me, which is a bit strange if the latest Beta is using Stretch, as that is Debian 9
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

VK3KYY wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:11 pm I didn't actually run these lines

# Patch Debian 9
fi
And it still seemed to work OK for me, which is a bit strange if the latest Beta is using Stretch, as that is Debian 9
So the 3B+ Beta has been pulled, because there is now the Pi-Star 4.0.0 RC2 image instead;
v4 is built on Stretch and not Jesse, and those libs were actually MIA from my Stretch build - they are needed from the GUI, however I have since fixed the image to include them, re-installing them over the top wont do any harm.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY »

Hi Andy

Sorry. I was miss naming the latest version as a Beta when I should have said RC2

I guessed it was based on Stretch since thats whats listed as the source for apt (in /etc/apt/sources.list)

I'll do a clean install of RC2, and then run the latest installGUI.sh to confirm it works OK for me.

Thanks

PS. My final aim is to run a LCD screen, which is actually not HDMI but is a cheapo one that uses the SPI connection.

So far the LCD screen does work, but its resolution is too low for the normal dashboard pages, so I'm going to install the "mobile" pages written by W0OTM (which he no longer supports), and probably adapt them for my small 3.5 inch screen

(Yes. I know I can use Nextion etc, but its really hard to change what gets displayed on the Nextion screen - since its built into MMDVMHost, and also the Nextion screens are significantly more expensive than the generic RPi LCD screens)
VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY »

BTW. In case anyone reading this thread is interested....

The "mobile" pages from http://amateurradio.digital/pistar.php don't work anymore.

Unfortunately the author no longer supports them, and it looks like they are incompatible with the Raspbian Stretch since they use php functions which have been completely deprecated and removed from PHP7
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

VK3KYY wrote:BTW. In case anyone reading this thread is interested....

The "mobile" pages from http://amateurradio.digital/pistar.php don't work anymore.

Unfortunately the author no longer supports them, and it looks like they are incompatible with the Raspbian Stretch since they use php functions which have been completely deprecated and removed from PHP7
Unfortunate as it had some potential for slimlining the pages down! But my PHP is about as good as my ability to smell after having my nose irradiated back in 2007 (FYI I no longer have the ability to smell anything!) Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY »

I'm temporarily giving up using the LCD screen to display whats on the RPi desktop. Mainly because I found this article about how the display works
https://www.willprice.org/2017/09/16/ad ... ry-pi.html

And it sounds like it uses the UART, which if I'm not mistaken is the serial data port that the hotspot is connected to :-(

The display does not really seem to use the UART but according to the article it allocated it for its own use

Also the whole process or installing the RPi desktop etc, and running the browser on the RPi to display web pages, just to display some simple information, now seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I can see the use for the installGUI.sh script if anyone wants to connect a real monitor to their PiStar but the web pages don't lend themselves to be used on small screens.

So...
I'm trying a different approach (which is off topic for this thread), and I've found a python library

https://github.com/bkosciow/gfxlcd

https://koscis.wordpress.com/2017/04/29 ... isplaying/

So I'm going to see if I can get that to work.

But I'll mark this thread as solved since the installGUI script now works
do6hg

Re: [Solved] Can PiStar GUI by installed on the RPi 3B+

Post by do6hg »

Hi,

I had rotate my 7" Touch display to 180 degrees with: display_rotate=2 in config.txt, but now my touch axis is all mirrored.
How can I fix that in the x-server configuration?

73!

Update:

I got finally figured out:

1. sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-evdev
2. create a directory /etc/X11//xorg.conf.d
3. create a file with named /etc/X11//xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf
4. With following entry:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier      "calibration"
        Driver "evdev"
        MatchProduct    "FT5406 memory based driver"
        Option "InvertX" "1"
        Option "InvertY" "1"
EndSection
5. Reboot

That's it.

73!

PS: Tested on RPi 3 without plus on jessie release with Pi-Star 3.4.17 !!!