New to Pi-star - can't link to any reflector

Help with D-Star related issues
9Y4AT

Re: New to Pi-star - can't link to any reflector

Post by 9Y4AT »

Yep, frequency is within the correct spectrum. This is very strange.

I have a MMDVM HAT repeater board attached to a Raspberry Pi 3B + running the same Pi-Star firmware, with both on the 70cm band but different UHF frequency and that one can link fine, no issues there at all.

I shut down the MMDVM HAT to see if the JumboSpot will link, and yet it will not. The firmware and setup are identical only the frequencies are different.

When I Tx to the JumboSpot I am hearing 'Linking To", but it will not connect for life. I downgraded to 3.12 still it will not connect on boot nor manually from the Admin page, or Tx'ing from the radio.

Again both the HAT board and the JumboSpot are identical software / firmware and setup, of course one is a Pi Zero the other a Pi 3B +.
9Y4AT

Post by 9Y4AT »

Got
D-Plus link to REF017 C has failed to connect
AB1HD

Post by AB1HD »

As it turns out, the problem with my wireless router. I still don't know what setting it has that prevents me from having the ZUMspot connect to the internet as no matter what I try, it won't work. I got the ZUMspot to work by using the other wireless router that I have in my home (I have one upstairs and one downstairs).

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice.

Rich AB1HD
9Y4AT

Post by 9Y4AT »

I will like to report back, that I too just switched routers at the QTH and the JumboSpot is now able to connect to Reflectors. Thanks for all the help to all.
Will monitor for a few days and see how it is working.
kb9tzs

Post by kb9tzs »

changing routers is great and all but can some one tell me what needs to be changed on the router? My ZumSpot connects to the wifi and i have done a firmware update as well as an update which all went well. The ZumSpot is getting out to do the update but not connecting to any reflectors and not receiving anything. ANY help on what to check or set on the router would be great.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Without seeing this happen first hand I can tell you some of what its not;

Modem Firmware - so long as ircDDBGateway starts, it does not care about modem firmware.
Modem Hardware - again so long as MMDVMHost or DStarRepeater start - they are happy with the modem - whatever it happens to be, so it's not that.

Most likely culprit is the router / DSL modem, why?

REF - These don't need any port forwarding to connect
DCS - Like REF these don't need a port forwarded to connect.
XRF - Depends - older XRF reflectors do need a port forwarded, new ones running XLX don't.

Each protocol above uses the same set of ports - some consumer class gear doesn't like that, we also mark the voice data as EF, some routers/DSL modems (although its REALLY rare) don't like that - usually a reboot of the modem or turning off SIP support / SIP ALG sort them out.

Legacy port forward - if you have the same port number forwarded inbound and its left over from something you did in the past - that can also stop home class firewalls working right.

So - check your router/firewall for port forwards that already exist, check for SIP ALG/SIP support being specifically enabled, you may also try turning off uPNP on the router / firewall too in case another system in the home is dynamically requesting one of the ports you need to be open.

Hope that helps.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
w8ejc

Post by w8ejc »

I have this problem with a new zumradio board from HRO, It is seg to link to ref030C on power up. Anounces over radio linked to ref030c but when you look at the dashboard it is not linked. You can use the radio and try to connect or you can use the admin page but it still will not link even as it says it is linked. You havd to use the unlink then you can link and it will work, You can then change reflectors ok untill you connect to a DCS reflector then you have to go to the dash board and manualy unlink then link. If you do a fresh image and set up it works fof a week or so just fine then it starts back to the not wantinb to link again. I have this same issue on my Duplex MMDVM board, will basicaly duplicate the same issue, Only on Dstar DMR and C4FM work fine. I have not been able to figure it out, I have to keep a tablet or phone so I can manually unlink to switch reflectors, Both units. If anyone figures it out please drop a note here.