[Solved] Help requested with Dual Hat

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
ko0y

[Solved] Help requested with Dual Hat

Post by ko0y »

I have a working single hat hotspot and decided to try a dual hat. I got one from China that had a pre-loaded card. After connecting it to my wi-fi, I updated and upgraded pi-star, to 3.4.17 and dashboard 20190205. It had FW 1.4.8 installed, so I used the SSH command sudo pistar-mmdvmhshatflash hs_dual_hat, but it returned a Failed to init device result. Perhaps that attempt caused the resulting problems.

If I set config as a single hat (simplex mode, modem STM32-DVM/MMDVM etc), then BM TGs are picked up in the dashboard and sent to my radio. Dashboard shows HS_Hat:v1.4.8. PTT from radio finds the repeater, but is not shown as RF activity on the dashboard.

If I set config as a dual hat (half-duplex, MMDVM_HS_Dual_hat/DB9MAT etc, 6 MHz offset between transmit and receive), then dashboard reports Listening, but there is no Gateway activity and PTT says repeater not found. FW is reported as HS_Hat:v1.4.8 still.

Did my attempt to upgrade the modem's firmware mess up the modem and, if so, how could I fix it? I have an STM-32 programmer if flashing a bootloader would be required. Thanks for all help.

Buck KO0Y
Last edited by ko0y on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ko0y

Re: Help requested with Dual Hat

Post by ko0y »

Some digging on the forum brought me to dual-hat boards and JP1. It was open on my board and I bridged it. Afterwards, pistar... flash hs_dual_hat worked and brought the board up to 1.4.16. It's still not working, however. I'm posting pix of dashboard and config if anyone can spot a problem there.

Buck ko0y
Attachments
dash.PNG
dash.PNG (49.98 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
config2.PNG
config2.PNG (62.28 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
config1.PNG
config1.PNG (72.9 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
W3WDC

Post by W3WDC »

Under General Configuration try: Node Type: Public
n9mxq

Post by n9mxq »

Try this modem type...Mine didn't require the JP1 trick, but this may help
dual_hat_type.jpg
dual_hat_type.jpg (49.59 KiB) Viewed 7869 times
Gene in Belvidere IL
Please don't email me with questions.
That's what these forums are for.
There's much more brainpower collected here
than I have alone.
ko0y

Post by ko0y »

n9mxq wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:37 pm Try this modem type...Mine didn't require the JP1 trick, but this may help
dual_hat_type.jpg
Thanks. I tried both MMDVM dual hat modems, but what finally worked was a large change in Rx and Tx offsets. Board was marked -475, but needed +500!

Buck ko0y
KC2TCK

Re: [Solved] Help requested with Dual Hat

Post by KC2TCK »

I have a similar board and I noticed the Pi-Star made the TX frequency field RED when I didn't have the offset high enough.

KC2TCK
KD8DVR

Re: [Solved] Help requested with Dual Hat

Post by KD8DVR »

KC2TCK wrote:I have a similar board and I noticed the Pi-Star made the TX frequency field RED when I didn't have the offset high enough.

KC2TCK
Red means you are in the satellite band, which isn't allowed by the hardware

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.