Pi-Star Update hangs on Updating DV Binaries

General support for the Pi-Star System
KE0FHS

Re: Pi-Star Update hangs on Updating DV Binaries

Post by KE0FHS » Wed May 22, 2019 7:48 pm

Nope, not fixed. I updated three Pi-Star 4.0.0-RC4 hotspots and had the same experience with each: first update from 20190519 to 20190521 hung on Updating DV Binaries, then the next updates ran fine, whether in the Pi-Star dashboard or via an SSH app. Then I updated a 3.4.17 hotspot, and it ran fine first go.

Then I tried a fourth Pi-Star 4.0.0-RC4 hotspot: the first update from 20190519 to 20190521 hung on Updating DV Binaries, and even though it's now on 20190521, every subsequent update, whether in the Pi-Star dashboard or via an SSH app hangs up on the Updating DV Binaries step, too.

Sigh.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Thu May 23, 2019 4:26 pm

Interesting results this morning. On my next hotspot, a ZUMspot on an RPi 3A+ running 4.0.0-RC4 20190429, I ran the update from the Expert Editor, where it updated to 20190521. It ran fine except that it finished in "mount: / is busy" read-write mode and when I rebooted it, it was still in read-write mode, though I was able to flip it into read-only mode using rpi-ro. Then I ran the update from my SSH app, where a pretty large Raspbian Stretch release was applied, and it still ran fine when it got to the Pi-Star steps at the end, including updating the DV Binaries step, though it again finished in "mount: / is busy" read-write mode (which means a reboot is required before it can be flipped into read-only mode). After the next reboot, it started properly in read-only mode.

I repeated the above with three other hotspots--an Amateur Radio Toys Cool Fan Unit on an RPi 3B+, an Amateur Radio Toys ZW Unit on an RPi 3A+, and an MMDVM_HS_DUAL_Hat, all running 4.0.0-RC4 20190429--and got the exact same results.

I also tried it on the ZUMspot on an RPI 3A+ running 20190521, the one I had trouble with yesterday, and got the same results except that it finished properly in read-only mode.

TENTATIVE CONCLUSION: Maybe there's something about the difference between how an update runs when you start it by clicking the Update link in PI-Star and how it runs when using an SSH app and running the sudo pistar-update script that is causing this issue?

I know I'm clutching at straws, but that's all I'm left with at this point. At least I'm feeling a glimmer of hope that I've found a way to get beyond this issue I've been fighting with for weeks now. Whew!

P.S.: For good measure, I also updated a DVMEGA-DUAL on an RPI 3B running 3.4.17 20190429. I updated that one directly from the SSH app using the sudo pistar-update command. I ran fine except for finishing in "mount: / is busy" read-write mode, which a reboot cleared.
Last edited by KE0FHS on Thu May 30, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Tue May 28, 2019 9:21 pm

I just ran a Pi-Star Update using the Update link in the Pi-Star dashboard (first thing after booting up). Results:

Code: Select all

Starting update, please wait...
Stopping Services...
Done
Updating DV Binaries...
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet/Pi-Star_v4_Binaries_Bin.git/': gnutls_handshake() failed: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
Updating /usr/local/bin...
error: cannot open .git/FETCH_HEAD: Read-only file system
Done
Updating Pi-Star Binaries...
fatal: Unable to create '/usr/local/sbin/.git/index.lock': Read-only file system
Updating /usr/local/sbin...
Updates were not successfull, reverting to Pi-Star original files...
fatal: Unable to create '/usr/local/sbin/.git/index.lock': Read-only file system
Done
Updating Hostfiles...
Done
Updating Dashboard...
Updating /var/www/dashboard...
Updates were not successfull, reverting to Pi-Star original files...
fatal: Unable to create '/var/www/dashboard/.git/index.lock': Read-only file system
Done
Updating PiStar-Firewall...
Done
sed: couldn't open temporary file /etc/sedJq3mPu: Read-only file system
sed: couldn't open temporary file /etc/sed698U2t: Read-only file system
Starting Services...
Done
Updates complete, sleeping for a few seconds before making the disk Read-Only
Finished
73, Toshen, KE0FHS

VK7HSE

Re: Pi-Star Update hangs on Updating DV Binaries (PARTIAL SOLUTION FOUND)

Post by VK7HSE » Thu May 30, 2019 11:11 am

Whenever you get issues with git failing to update your pistar system files, it will always be that the checksum of a file/s has changed in either /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/sbin or /var/www/dashboard

So what can cause this? If the file system has been put back into read/write (rpi-rw) and your pi sufferers a loss of power while a file is being accessed or if you happen to edit files in those directories.

How to resolve this problem? Ok so you will need to change to the directory that is having the issue (one of the three mentioned above) then type in...

rpi-rw
git stash

you might have to tell git who you are!
The syntax for doing this is printed on the screen so copy & paste with your name and email, once done you repeat git stash.

You'll see some text printed on screen. Then you can...

git pull

This will pull down the current commit and update it, it wouldn't hurt to run an update once you have fixed the git conflict just to ensure that you have actually fixed it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Thu May 30, 2019 12:55 pm

VK7HSE wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:11 am
How to resolve this problem? Ok so you will need to change to the directory that is having the issue (one of the three mentioned above) then type in...
Thank you! This morning, Updating DV Binaries failed, but the rest of the update ran fine (this is more usual that the previous result I posted):

Starting update, please wait...
Stopping Services...
Done
Updating DV Binaries...
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet/Pi-Star_v4_Binaries_Bin.git/': gnutls_handshake() failed: Error in the push function.
Updating /usr/local/bin...
From https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet/Pi-Star_v4_Binaries_Bin
* branch master -> FETCH_HEAD
Already up-to-date.
Done
Updating Pi-Star Binaries...
Updating /usr/local/sbin...
From https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet/Pi-Star_Binaries_sbin
740a4c0..5427301 master -> origin/master
Updating 740a4c0..5427301
Fast-forward
pistar-bmapi | 28 ++++++++++++++++++++++------
1 file changed, 22 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)
Done
Updating Hostfiles...
Done
Updating Dashboard...
Updating /var/www/dashboard...
From https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet/Pi-Star_DV_Dash
168a256..cd30707 master -> origin/master
Updating 168a256..cd30707
Fast-forward
admin/configure.php | 34 +++++++++++++---------------------
config/version.php | 2 +-
2 files changed, 14 insertions(+), 22 deletions(-)
Done
Updating PiStar-Firewall...
Done
Starting Services...
Done
Updates complete, sleeping for a few seconds before making the disk Read-Only
Finished
I tried to do what you suggested. I read the pistar=update file that is in sbin, and if I understood it correctly the Updating DV Binaries step is related to the /usr/local/bin directory, so I changed to that and ran (in rw mode) git stash:

No local changes to save 
Last edited by KE0FHS on Thu May 30, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS

VK7HSE

Re: Pi-Star Update hangs on Updating DV Binaries (PARTIAL SOLUTION FOUND)

Post by VK7HSE » Thu May 30, 2019 3:41 pm

Try /usr/local/sbin

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Thu May 30, 2019 4:06 pm

Thanks for your continued help. Here are the latest results after another fatal error on Unpdating DV Binaries (hung on that step for 15 minutes; everything else in the Update worked fine). Since sbin didn't result in anything, I went ahead and tried running git stash on /var/www/dashboard, too, and did get a result there, though I don't understand it and am unsure whether there is a next step I should try.

[email protected](rw):~$ cd /usr/local/sbin
pi[email protected](rw):sbin$ git stash
No local changes to save                                                     
[email protected](rw):sbin$ cd ..                                            
[email protected](rw):local$ cd ..
[email protected](rw):usr$ cd ..
[email protected](rw):/$ cd /var/www/dashboard                               
[email protected](rw):dashboard$ git stash                                   
fatal: Unable to create '/var/www/dashboard/.git/index.lock': Permission denied                                                                           
Cannot save the current index state                                          
[email protected](rw):dashboard$ sudo git stash                              
Saved working directory and index state WIP on master: cd30707 Update configure.php                                                                       
HEAD is now at cd30707 Update configure.php
By the way, I don't think this is a power brownout or power supply issue. I'm not seeing any indication of power issues today (it's a beautiful calm day with no monitor flickering or other signs of disruption), and I've experienced this using three different quality power supplies, all capable of 2.5A.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Thu May 30, 2019 4:36 pm

Just tried on a hotspot running 3.4.17, and the entire update worked fine.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS

VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE » Thu May 30, 2019 5:30 pm

Now you cleared that conflict in the dashboard, just running an update should now behave as expected!

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Thu May 30, 2019 6:10 pm

VK7HSE wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:30 pm
Now you cleared that conflict in the dashboard, just running an update should now behave as expected! Image
Alright, now I understand the full process. I'm bookmarking this to refer back to it. Thanks so much for your help with this!

From your previous post:
Whenever you get issues with git failing to update your pistar system files, it will always be that the checksum of a file/s has changed in either /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/sbin or /var/www/dashboard

change to the directory that is having the issue (one of the three mentioned above) then type in...

rpi-rw
git stash

you might have to tell git who you are!
The syntax for doing this is printed on the screen so copy & paste with your name and email, once done you repeat git stash.

You'll see some text printed on screen. Then you can...

git pull

This will pull down the current commit and update it, it wouldn't hurt to run an update once you have fixed the git conflict just to ensure that you have actually fixed it!

73, Toshen, KE0FHS