Zumspot and touch screen responses

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
KE7FNS

Zumspot and touch screen responses

Post by KE7FNS » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:28 pm

For anyone that has been waiting and wanting the touch screen to work on their Nextion connected to their Zumspot Nextion port (on the modem), I have good news the latest release of the firmware enables this feature. I've been running it over the last month and all of my testing has been successful. Let me know if you run into any issues.

So, update the firmware to v1.4.17, and get to playing with it :)
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.

KE0FHS

Re: Zumspot and touch screen responses

Post by KE0FHS » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks, Jason, that's great news! Thanks for your work on this.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:11 pm

KE7FNS wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:28 pm
For anyone that has been waiting and wanting the touch screen to work on their Nextion connected to their Zumspot Nextion port (on the modem), I have good news the latest release of the firmware enables this feature. I've been running it over the last month and all of my testing has been successful. Let me know if you run into any issues.

So, update the firmware to v1.4.17, and get to playing with it :)
A couple questions about this:
  1. What port needs to be selected in Pi-Star Configuration for this?
  2. Does this mean there is no need to install the Model 8 driver separately anymore?
73, Toshen, KE0FHS

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:02 am

KE0FHS wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:11 pm
A couple questions about this:
  1. What port needs to be selected in Pi-Star Configuration for this?
  2. Does this mean there is no need to install the Model 8 driver separately anymore?
Thats kind of a tricky question since there are two different areas and they use different ports.

The following is only valid for RPi hats:

The first port configuration should be:
MMDVMDisplay type: Nextion
Port: /dev/ttyNextionDriver
Nextion Layout: shouldn't really matter which one you choose, it just changes what text fields are displayed

Then go to the Expert configuration area

And in the NextionDriver section:
that port should be "modem" when you connect the nextion to the pins on the modem hat

And yes, you will still want to use the Nextion Driver for the touch responses to be registered in MMDVMHost. The other thing is you need a tft file that has touch areas setup and defined to send data, such as the ones here:
https://github.com/PD0DIB/Nextion_HAM-r ... %208/GLOBE

Basically though, if you had it working correctly in the old firmware, you don't need to make any changes for anything to work, it'll just all the sudden respond to the touch areas and do things like reboot, and shutdown, or whatever command someone has programmed in the screen touch area.

I need to sync my Nextion Driver code so that ON7LDS can update his code to fix a few bugs I've run into with his code while messing around with things, but the bugs I've found are it not returning search results correctly on callsign/DMR lookups due to logic errors, not anything major breaking since I recommended he change the startup service to wait for the network to come online on raspbian stretch.

I hope that helps.

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:20 am

KE7FNS wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:02 am
I hope that helps.
Thanks
73, Toshen, KE0FHS

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:33 pm

KE7FNS wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:02 am
Does this mean there is no need to install the Model 8 driver separately anymore?
You know, now that I've thought about things I'm not sure if the Nextion Driver is required to get the touch screen responses, since MMDVMHost should be sitting waiting for something on the serial port as if its connected on USB. I'd say it will work but I'd have to test it to confirm my theory, or you could do it by loading a tft with a touch area defined.

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:38 pm

You know, I never installed Model 8 because I don't have a personal use case for a touch screen. I may fool around with this just as a learning experience, but it won't be this week.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS

K4SID

Post by K4SID » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:54 pm

Jason,
Which version of the zumspot radio board and pi-star are you using?
For me the zumspot radio board version 1.4 still doesn't work without the usb connection.
I am using the 4.0.0 RC4 pi-star, 1.4.17 zumspot firmware.

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:45 pm

Zumspot Rpi Board v0.6

4.0.0 RC4 pi-star because I'm running a 3 B+

I also have a clone hat thats duplex, but I haven't tested things on that yet because it came with an OLED screen and I have to take it all apart to solder a pin header on it for the Nextion.

Are you running the Nextion Driver from ON7LDS? Because my setup currently does, and that might be what is different. I have a feeling I might know whats going on, but I'm not looking forward to diving into MMDVMHosts source code to fix it.

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:07 pm

Welp bad news guys. Looks like it doesn't work unless you run the Nextion Driver. I looked over the code and I see what it isn't doing in this particular case and I'm not familiar with how MMDVMHost processes the serial data when its using a USB connection, so I'll have to come up to speed on that part. I'm not sure why ON7LDS did things the way he did and I really don't want to dive into that code and figure out a fix either. :(