Anti-kerchunk

Suggest new features here
k3zed

Anti-kerchunk

Post by k3zed »

Is there a way to put in a delay or Anti-kerchunk option in the software itself when the unit is in "listening" mode?

As I run my Pi-star STM32 on a repeater, and I do have a couple of static Talk Groups on there, I see a lot of users with .2, .4 , .8 second key ups that activate the repeater from the net and I think it is a lot of unnecessary key ups the repeater sends to the air that if there was a second or 1.5 second adjustable delay would stop this , as long as the group wasn't already active.

I don't believe that a start up message would really be cut off as if a user was really sending a message or calling out because the transmission would be at the minimum of two seconds or more.

SCOM and other controllers do have this in their software as an option.

Just my two cents worth and a future request.

Jim

K3ZED
w7efs

Re: Anti-kerchunk

Post by w7efs »

My humble opinion is that a "second or 1.5 second adjustable delay" during an active net would be equally as annoying as the kerchunks, preventing someone from a timely check-in using your node and increasing the chances of a double.
k3zed

Post by k3zed »

That is why I stated that the node was inactive or in "Listening" mode. Once the node is online and open, and the Pi-star is active in that node, it would not be active until the hangtime expires.

73's

Jim
K3ZED
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

Your node is entirely active when in "listening mode".
WA8YXM

Post by WA8YXM »

This applies only to D-Star (I do not use other modes) but the "Ker-chunk" sends an ID/Info packet so you Kerchunk. once and I will hear your call and you show up on my dash.

So as another John Davis (This one from GA not MI) said during an "Event" "Short check in" (Kerchunk) and wait for my reply.

Also. many FM users. Well the "Kerchunk" is "Am I close enough to thre repeater to hit it... I*deally they then follow with their call but hey.

That's one of the things I like about D-Star.. Kerchunk sends your call so we know who's doing it.

But When the voce says I D I D ID I D (this goes on for like 20 ID'.. I D zero I Well the sample call I just typed was NOT chosen at random.