More Starnet 4 a newb.

General support for the Pi-Star System
KD2RCQ

More Starnet 4 a newb.

Post by KD2RCQ »

I would like to create a starnet group for friends and as a way to learn something new. I have it working on a pi 0 with a generic jumbo spot. My question is can i run pi star for this on a raspberry pi without the jumbo so i can have just a standalone “reflector”? If so, how would i set up the mode in configuration?

Thanks
Danny
w7efs

Re: More Starnet 4 a newb.

Post by w7efs »

4 != "for" ... use of language is important if one wants to communicate effectively.

In your Jumbo modem-less scenario, have you tried selecting Radio/Modem type: "--" on the Configuration page? You have the option of configuring (4 != "for") 4 starNet servers in /etc/ircddbgateway assuming each is properly registered. If they're not properly registered then the D-Star call sign routing that starNet uses simply won't work.

Above caveats observed, what you want to do is possible with Pi-Star.
KD2RCQ

Post by KD2RCQ »

I did not register anything with ircddb as from what I read a legacy STARnet group didn’t require it.

I just wanted to make a stand-alone reflector like device on a spare RPi I have.

I set things up in pi star in expert mode according to what I read (http://www.k2dls.net/blog/2019/03/14/se ... ing-group/) but others can’t connect in. My STARnet group does show up on the QuadNet dashboard.

I’m new to all this and don’t know much right now. But would be appreciative 4 any help.

Thanks.
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

KD2RCQ wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:12 am I did not register anything with ircddb as from what I read a legacy STARnet group didn’t require it.
... and that's the very simple, plain reason why starNet doesn't work "for" you in your context. Any "legacy" starNet reflector is already registered.
KD2RCQ

Post by KD2RCQ »

Interesting. I wonder why they say it doesn’t need to be registered.
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

Nowhere in the article you cited does it say "it doesn’t need to be registered", so it's not clear why you would make that statement. The article only deals with a fictitious starNet group setup in Pi-Star.