Re: Firmware update problem

Post by KE7FNS » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:50 am

oz1cbk wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:24 pm
No, I am so confused. I have tryed this:

Code: Select all

sudo pistar-mmdvmhshatflash hs_hat
and both board is 14.7456 MHz
On both board, and it dont work. So I'm looking after the right way to do it on both.
Again, there is not ONE magic command that is going to work on the TWO different boards you have, EACH board requires its own special command.

I've told you how to do it:

On the ZUMSpot board use:
sudo pistar-zumspotflash rpi

On the board by Florian use:

Don't use the incorrect command on the wrong board.

oz1cbk wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:24 pm

I must learn to compile to get it to work ? Maybe I have til write in Danish in Google Translate to explain.
I have the langue and to little knowledge to get over, sorry.
You shouldn't have to compile the firmware. What I think is going on is you are either installing the wrong firmware, and it is having trouble communicating with the modem, or the problem you have is not anything to do with the firmware, it is somewhere else in the configuration, and you are trying to fix something that isn't broken.

You haven't said what the problem you are experiencing is, only that "it doesn't work". That doesn't help anyone figure where to begin to try to help you. What doesn't work, do you get an error flashing the modem when running that command? What does the log say?

oz1cbk

Post by oz1cbk » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Thank You for trying to help me.

I have made a .PDF file when I try with Florin's board. It is attached here. I hope You can see what is wrong.

Ole.

Hmm, I have to zip the file to send it.
Attachments
Board_FW_Error.zip
(223.3 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

W1KMC

Post by W1KMC » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:37 pm

If you get that error on both board - it's not the firmware nut the board itself (mostly)

"Failed to Init Device" does not mean wrong firmware (even though on a Zumboard it would be.

Please try what is suggested here several time

On the WHITE Zumspot Zumboard use:

sudo pistar-zumspotflash rpi

you may still get that "Failed to init device" message as I get that all the time.

Look for JP1 in lower right corner of the board and see if it has a glob of solder on it or is it "clean" (you will see it as two pads with a small break in the middle. This jeeds to be "jumpered" (both halves connected) and try again.

For the Florian Board (color varies ) you need to use the one you are trying the ZUmboard with:

Again you may see the "Failed to Init Device" Error, again look for a JP1 somewhere on the board and be sure both halves are connected, and try again.

My thing is, If it isn't broke - don't fix it (unless there is a new feature in the firmware you absolutely cannot live without)

I wish you luck
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:39 pm

oz1cbk wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:01 pm
I have made a .PDF file when I try with Florin's board. It is attached here. I hope You can see what is wrong.
I don't see anything that looks wrong in what you are doing or the settings displayed. Sometimes you just have to run the flash command a few times in a row until it cooperates, I am not sure what causes that, but its nothing you are doing.

As far as the other guys suggestion about soldering the jumper to force the STM32 it into bootloader mode, I have NEVER had to force the bootloader mode. I've flashed my modems hundreds of times over the last month while I was compiling my own custom firmware and testing. Even if I wanted to get the STM32 into bootloader mode, I'd just power everything off, and find a paperclip or something metal like tweezers and bridge the pads and then power it up, I would not waste the time busting out a soldering iron twice to make a temporary connection.

oz1cbk

Post by oz1cbk » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:10 am

KE7FNS wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:39 pm
I don't see anything that looks wrong in what you are doing or the settings displayed. Sometimes you just have to run the flash command a few times in a row until it cooperates, I am not sure what causes that, but its nothing you are doing.
Thank You very, very much. And thanks to Kevin also.

I have seen before. Do the job more than one.
I did this 2 times and:
ApplicationFrameHost_2019-06-13_10-57-42.png
ApplicationFrameHost_2019-06-13_10-57-42.png (2.72 KiB) Viewed 173 times

So now I'm glad. Thank You.

Ole - OZ1CBK

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:22 pm

oz1cbk wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:10 am
So now I'm glad. Thank You.
Perfect.

I'm glad it is finally working also.

Have fun.

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:46 pm

W1KMC wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:37 pm
Again you may see the "Failed to Init Device" Error, again look for a JP1 somewhere on the board and be sure both halves are connected, and try again.
Turns out you were right. I got my hands on that exact same board and did some testing, and it is very picky when it comes to flashing the firmware. I had to bridge the Boot 0 - terminals before I could get it to begin the flashing process. Thats a new issue for me and a major reason I wouldn't recommend that board no matter how cheap it is.