'Repeater Not Found' message from Anytone 868

General support for the Pi-Star System
KX4NT

'Repeater Not Found' message from Anytone 868

Post by KX4NT »

I believe I followed all instructions for setting up my pi-star hotspot and programming my AT 868, but I cannot transmit or receive. Everytime I initiate contact, the transmission cuts out and I receive that error message--Repeater Not Found. I am new to DMR. I searched the web for hours trying to solve this error 'Repeater Not Found', but I cannot troubleshoot this. I have started over from scratch a few times, following different sources of instructions on the web just to make sure that I was following proper procedures. FWIW, I did not attempt to make my own code plug. I downloaded them from the web.

I really need some help. Please help me.
KD8DVR

Re: 'Repeater Not Found' message from Anytone 868

Post by KD8DVR »

KX4NT wrote:I believe I followed all instructions for setting up my pi-star hotspot and programming my AT 868, but I cannot transmit or receive. Everytime I initiate contact, the transmission cuts out and I receive that error message--Repeater Not Found. I am new to DMR. I searched the web for hours trying to solve this error 'Repeater Not Found', but I cannot troubleshoot this. I have started over from scratch a few times, following different sources of instructions on the web just to make sure that I was following proper procedures. FWIW, I did not attempt to make my own code plug. I downloaded them from the web.

I really need some help. Please help me.
Are you on a simplex or a duplex hot spot? There is a difference. On a duplex hotspot, make sure you have the latest firmware. Also, in expert settings, make your DMRtxlevel something like 60. Anytones are very touchy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

Also...you said you didn't make your own codeplug. Your frequency programmed in the radio must match the frequency programmed in the hotspot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
KX4NT

Post by KX4NT »

KD8DVR,

Thank you so much for your reply. I think you already identified my problem. My frequency which is plugged into my simplex hotspot does NOT match my radio's frequency. I am going to sound like the biggest idiot, but I will ask. How do I go about setting up the frequency on my AT 868. Are there youtube videos which explain this, other websites? By the way, you probably already assumed this, but I am a new ham as well. I am totally lost.
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

There are lots of videos that will help you with this. Basically, you want to edit the Channel Just change the transmit and receive frequency to the same thing. Make sure they match you hotspot frequency.
AF4FA

Post by AF4FA »

It would be easier to change the frequency in the hotspot to match the frequency your radio is using. That can be done in the pi-star configuration.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Learning to set up a code plug using the programmer is highly recommended.

On a DMR radio a channel is not just a frequency (pair). Every channel has:

Tx frequency
Rx frequency (for simplex hotspots these are the same)
Color Code (most hotspots use CC 1)
Time Slot (simplex hotspots use TS 2)
TALK GROUP (or DMR ID for person-to-person private calls)
Tx Power level (for hotspots you want the lowest power available -- since the flea-power hotspot won't get out as far as even a 1W HT)

If there are three talk groups you want to use with the hotspot, you need to configure three channels that are identical except for the talk group and the channel name; you next have to put those channels into a zone to you can dial them up.

NOTE: UK practice is to use DMR reflectors, and to only program two channels per repeater -- one is the access channel on which to send reflector set-up commands, and the other is talk group 9 used to actually communicate over the reflector. US Brandmeister does not support reflectors (all reflectors have a unique TG #, while not all talk groups have reflector #s), so one must set up a channel for each desired talk group (or be able to edit an existing channel on the radio itself to change the talk group it is defined as using).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber