Use updated ircddbgateway for D-Star XLX support

Suggest new features here
K2IE

Use updated ircddbgateway for D-Star XLX support

Post by K2IE »

The current codebase of ircddbgateway seems to have merged support for direct connection to XLX reflectors. So rather than fudge a local entry for an XRF or DCS, we could directly connect via something like XLX020AL. Even the DV4mini (gasp!) now supports this, using DCS protocol when a D-Star connection to an XLX reflector is requested.

Please consider.

Thanks and 73
K2IE

Re: Use updated ircddbgateway for D-Star XLX support

Post by K2IE »

Kenwood has released firmware 1.09 for the D74 which includes reflector menu support for directly connecting to XLX reflectors. This request now takes on added urgency, as connect requests via XLX on a D74A fail.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

It's nice to know that Kenwood hasn't completely forgotten the TH-D74.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

The "problem" here is that XLX is not a D-Star protocol, there is REF (D-Plus), DCS (DCS), and XRF (D-Extra), these use separate ports, XLX is not a thing on its own.

So what we actually need is to add the various XLX hosts to the correct D-Plus/DExtra/DCS host files (now done).
What does all of this mean, well I didn't update ircDDBGateway yet, I will at some point, on Pi-Star v4.x, its not possible to update it for Pi-Star v3.x really due to the requirements for WX 3.0 and the space that requires on the image, BUT both systems should be able to link using the "XLX" name now.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
K2IE

Post by K2IE »

Thank you Andy, I can confirm that it works. However, I see that the connection is being made via DPlus. This is probably because I have checked off use DPLus for XRF connections to get around any firewall issues.

What I think would be better is if XLX connection requests try DCS first, as all xlxd implementations support DCS. Is there anyway we can do this?
kb2ear

Post by kb2ear »

I think there may be a problem, I have connected to XLX020A. When I transmit I can be heard on XLX020A however when someone/anyone transmits on XLX020A I hear nothing, nor do I see anything on my dashboard. I did a tcpdump and I can see packets from XLX020A when someone talks there, but nothing out of the radio or dashboard.
K2IE

Post by K2IE »

I can confirm that there is an issue with one way audio when using the XLX connection feature. Another operator connected, I could hear him fine, but he could not hear me.

Note: When I stated things were working in my earlier post I had not verified two way audio, just that I saw the connection on the dashboard.

MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

k2dls wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:36 pm Thank you Andy, I can confirm that it works. However, I see that the connection is being made via DPlus. This is probably because I have checked off use DPLus for XRF connections to get around any firewall issues.

What I think would be better is if XLX connection requests try DCS first, as all xlxd implementations support DCS. Is there anyway we can do this?
Are you sure that they *ALL* support DCS?

Currently what I do is look at the lists from the XLX system, and put all the XLX' that support DCS in the DCS hosts, all the DExtra supporting hosts into XRF and all the DPlus supporting hosts into the REF list, this is experimental so I can sure move them around...

The use DPlus for XRF - I have yet to update that host file the same way - I should probably look at that too......
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

MW0MWZ wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:53 pm
k2dls wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:36 pm Thank you Andy, I can confirm that it works. However, I see that the connection is being made via DPlus. This is probably because I have checked off use DPLus for XRF connections to get around any firewall issues.

Are you sure that they *ALL* support DCS?

Currently what I do is look at the lists from the XLX system, and put all the XLX' that support DCS in the DCS hosts, all the DExtra supporting hosts into XRF and all the DPlus supporting hosts into the REF list, this is experimental so I can sure move them around...

The use DPlus for XRF - I have yet to update that host file the same way - I should probably look at that too......
After some command line fu to all the XLX list, remove all lines starting with "#" and then remove all duplicates based on the 2nd column....
We now have a MUCH shorter, much saner list.

All the hosts that you can connect to with DCS, show up as DCS hosts, all the hosts that are available by DExtra show up as DExtra, and there are 0 unique DPlus hosts.

Press update, see if the audio issues are cured....
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

After some more testing with this - I see the problem we're all having... OK I had hoped not to have to compile ircDDBGateway, but thats what we need.
Standby while I sort it out....
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ