Raspberry Pi 4

General support for the Pi-Star System
KE0FHS

Re: Raspberry Pi 4

Post by KE0FHS »

MW0MWZ wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:12 pm The wpa_supplicant.conf I happened to use was generated by the tool on the pistar.uk website, that tool has not changed at all, the format is identical to the old ones - it works exactly as expected.
Decided to do one final test:
  • Used the same ZUMspot + RPi 3A+ hotspot as with the previous failed test with 4.1.0-RC1
  • Used the same microSD card as with the previous failed test with 4.1.0-RC1
  • Used the same wpa_supplicant.conf file as with the previous failed test with 4.1.0-RC1
  • But used the 4.0.0-RC4 image that I still had saved on my PC
It worked just fine, booting up and connecting straightaway to my wireless network.

This tells me there is an issue with 4.1-RC1.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

KE0FHS wrote:
KD8DVR wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:46 am I got one pi zero to finally connect to wifi.
Did you try anything different with that one? I'm burning a fresh image with the wpa_supplicant.conf file copied to the root directory right now, but I'm willing to try anything!
I did an overwrite format first. But when trying it on another pi's SD card, it didn't work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

KE0FHS wrote:
MW0MWZ wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:12 pm The wpa_supplicant.conf I happened to use was generated by the tool on the pistar.uk website, that tool has not changed at all, the format is identical to the old ones - it works exactly as expected.
Decided to do one final test:
  • Used the same ZUMspot + RPi 3A+ hotspot as with the previous failed test with 4.1.0-RC1
  • Used the same microSD card as with the previous failed test with 4.1.0-RC1
  • Used the same wpa_supplicant.conf file as with the previous failed test with 4.1.0-RC1
  • But used the 4.0.0-RC4 image that I still had saved on my PC
It worked just fine, booting up and connecting straightaway to my wireless network.

This tells me there is an issue with 4.1-RC1.
Yeah. Same thoughts here. I burned a 4.0 to one of my hotspots SD cards and it worked immediately. Guess I'll have to revert back to 4.0 on 2 of my devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:53 am
KE0FHS wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:50 am This tells me there is an issue with 4.1-RC1.
Hey, you wanna try something really quick and see what happens? I don't have a Zero to test.

You are going to need to connect to network though, so maybe tried wired and then run this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install openresolv
I was able to get my 4.1 hotspot to act correctly the instant I reinstalled that package, it started resolving network hosts right away.

For some reason Andy removed that package, I'm guessing he was trying to downsize the image, and I'm 99% certain that is the culprit.
Good detective work! I don't know how I can install this package on the Pi Zero W but I'm hoping that Andy can roll a new pi-star image with this included.
--

Brian G8SEZ
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

KE0FHS wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:50 am This tells me there is an issue with 4.1-RC1.
Hey, you wanna try something really quick and see what happens? I don't have a Zero to test.

You are going to need to connect to network though, so maybe tried wired and then run this:

I was able to get my 4.1 hotspot to act correctly the instant I reinstalled that package, it started resolving network hosts right away.

For some reason Andy removed that package, I'm guessing he was trying to downsize the image, and I'm 99% certain that is the culprit.
Thats weird, I removed that due to the issues it was causing - fun times, I've removed the new image until I can fix up the issues.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:53 am I was able to get my 4.1 hotspot to act correctly the instant I reinstalled that package, it started resolving network hosts right away.
Well done! I'm impressed with how quickly you figured this out.

I'm running a 3A+, so won't be able to test this solution. I thought about trying it with one of the 3B+ boards I still have, but I think I'll wait for Andy's next RC.

BTW, I've got Buster up and running on my shack computer, a 3B+, and it is performing very well so far (over WiFi). Even though the Raspberry Pi Foundation folks highly recommend against it, I went ahead and upgraded from Stretch to Buster just to see what the process would be like. It took a long, long time, and while the results were usable, it wasn't great. So after that, I went ahead and flashed a fresh install of Buster. It was fast and easy, and the results were much, much better.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

I went ahead and tried this with an RPi 3B+ based hotspot (so I could use a wired connection to my network), but I got an error message. Any ideas?

pi-star@pi-star-d(rw):~$ sudo apt-get install openresolv
Reading package lists... Done                                                
Building dependency tree                                                     
Reading state information... Done                                            
Package openresolv is not available, but is referred to by another package.  
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or            
is only available from another source                                        

E: Package 'openresolv' has no installation candidate
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

Here we go yet again.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:59 am Have you run a "sudo apt-get update" recently? Normally its kinda assumed you run that before other apt-get install commands, so I kinda didn't mention it. Sorry about that, but it might be that theres a serious issue with that package and they've removed it from the repo. I'll have to take a look and see if I can find any info on it.
I run sudo apt-get update on a regular basis on my RPi computer in my shack, but I've never run it on any of my Pi-Star hotspot RPi boards. I didn't even know that was possible. I do run sudo pistar-update on a regular basis, though I didn't in this case, since I was working on a brand new install.

I'll try running sudo apt-get update and see what happens.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Yep, that worked. Thanks!
73, Toshen, KE0FHS